Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 18, 2006, 8:25 AM   #1

i have ordered my FZ-7, but from reading a few reviews i think im going to regret it. there seems to be a lot of complaints about the noise at moderately high ISO values, and it has no hot shoe. anyone got any opinions on this or where i could get an FZ-20 now days? as far as i know it has been discontinued.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2006, 4:14 PM   #2

Panasonic still has the FZ20 listed on their web sight but I recently purchased a really nice usedFZ20 on ebay for $200.00. I seldom use the hot shoe for flash but itmakes it nice formounting and sighting in my RDS. I have not read any bad reviews on the FZ7, except for the noise butI perdonsly think people makeit soundmuch worse than it is. The FZ20 also has some noise but a second with a good noise removalprogram takes care of it.The features offered for the money with any of the FZ series camerasmakeany one of them a good buy and it'sreal easy tojustify the need fora little PSP.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 3:33 AM   #3

i own an fz30 which seems to have more noise than the fz7 and i have noproblem with it.
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:58 PM   #4

Schmintan,
I suggest that you go to this link and read the summaries of just about every review of the FZ7 available. This page alone convinced me to buy the FZ7. Check out the user reviews too and most give it 4.5 to 5.0 stars. Every camera has some noise. Don't let that bother you. Noise can always be dealt with.

http://www.digitalcameratracker.com/...w-roundup.html

Take a look at some of these FZ7 shots taken in Rome, Italy in low light. They are gorgeous! What noise?????

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=18876205

Let us know what you decide. All the best.

Justinian
FZ5, FX-01, Canon A610, SD550
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:45 PM   #5

I doubt you will soon regret buying the FZ7. I use the 'auto' settings on my FZ20 and hardly ever see ISO-200 automatically selected. Most daylight and flash pics are at ISO-80 and ISO-100, so noise levels are low. The FZ7 should perform likewise.

The FZ7 has a better movie resolution and faster fosussing if I'm not mistaken. The FZ20 has a hotshoe and manual focussing, which I personally like. The optics are slightly better as well. If I had to choose again, I would go with the FZ20. I really love almost everything about it. :-)
Purry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 1:06 AM   #6

I have both the FZ20 and the FZ7, and personally, I am thinking I should have never bought the FZ7 because it doesn't seem any different than my FZ20, except for it's smaller size. I use neat image to clean up my shots if I have to. It's free, and it works great! I especially use it in my bird shots when I use a teleconverter, and it helps a lot. Check them out at my website if you want to see some examples: www.mkklein.smugmug.com

Melissa
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 1:18 AM   #7

Ride16 wrote:
I have both the FZ20 and the FZ7, and personally, I am thinking I should have never bought the FZ7 because it doesn't seem any different than my FZ20, except for it's smaller size.

That is high praise for the FZ7!!
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 1:27 AM   #8

ride16 wrote:
Quote:
I have both the FZ20 and the FZ7, and personally, I am thinking I should have never bought the FZ7 because it doesn't seem any different than my FZ20, except for it's smaller size. I use neat image to clean up my shots if I have to. It's free, and it works great! I especially use it in my bird shots when I use a teleconverter, and it helps a lot. Check them out at my website if you want to see some examples: http://www.mkklein.smugmug.com

Melissa

yea thts odd to buy a fz7 if you already have a fz20. a futile purchase i think
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:30 AM   #9
scb

Any noise issues can be dealt with with Neat Image or comparable program.

The deciding issue would be how much flash photography you plan to do. The built in flash on my FZ20 just can't compare with what I can do with my Sunpak 383 attached. The availability of a hot shoe is what made me choose the FZ20 over other Panasonic cameras available at the time I purchased.

So, think about what you want to do, and choose the better camera. The FZ20 is certainly capable of taking great pictures and may meet your needs as well as the FZ7, but you have to buy what's going to make you happy. If you have a strong urge to have the "latest" model....than go for the FZ7, or spring for the FZ30.
scb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 12:37 PM   #10

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
ride16 wrote:
Quote:
I have both the FZ20 and the FZ7, and personally, I am thinking I should have never bought the FZ7 because it doesn't seem any different than my FZ20, except for it's smaller size. I use neat image to clean up my shots if I have to. It's free, and it works great! I especially use it in my bird shots when I use a teleconverter, and it helps a lot. Check them out at my website if you want to see some examples: http://www.mkklein.smugmug.com

Melissa

yea thts odd to buy a fz7 if you already have a fz20. a futile purchase i think

The only reason I bought it is because I love my FZ20, but I don't like carrying it around all the time - it's too big just to slip into my purse. The FZ7 has everything that I would need from the FZ20, but it fits in my purse or bag or whatever so that I can always have it with me. If you don't mind lugging the FZ20 or 30 around, go for one of those.
ride16 is offline   Reply With Quote