Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 18, 2006, 8:42 AM   #1

I found a Raynox DCR-6600 pro lens with 43mm thread size. Was not even aware they made 6600 with 43mm mounting thread size. Should the small thread size work as well as the 52mm on my FZ20? I have no idea how to figure that.

Thanks, Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:52 AM   #2

d-sr wrote:
Quote:
I found a Raynox DCR-6600 pro lens with 43mm thread size. Was not even aware they made 6600 with 43mm mounting thread size. Should the small thread size work as well as the 52mm on my FZ20? I have no idea how to figure that.

Thanks, Don
The hd6600 (formerly dcr6600) is available in 43, 49, 52, 55, and 58mm threaded mounts. The lens is exactley the same on all these. Only the rear camera mount is different. The rear pupil of the 6600 measures ~43mm in diameter, so the 43mm mount shouldn't cause any vignetting on its own. However, the need for axxmm - 43mm stepdown ring to attach it to the fz20 placing the 6600 further from the camera lens will cause vignetting. If you have a 52mm adapter for your fz20 (such as the raynox rt5264p), you're better off getting the 52mm hd6600.

The rear threaded mount on the 6600 can be removed to expose 53mm threads. In order to get the 6600 as close as possible to the camera lens (in my case the fz5), that is one good option and that is what I did. I got a 52mm series-7ring at b&h photo. (It also comes in 55mm.) This is essentially a 54-52mm step down ring. Using electrical tape I was able to securely fasten it to the 6600. (See this dpreview thread for more info.) If the price of the 43mm 6600 you're considering is real good, that's what I'd do.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:02 PM   #3

Thanks fmoore! Was not sure if rear lens was the same. LoveLife makes a 62-43 CRing I thought I'd use since I already have the CRing adaptor and have been very happy with it. As far as I know it gets the lenses as close as possible.

Don
Old Jun 19, 2006, 2:02 PM   #4

Don, I would use the solution mentioned by Fred.
Space between dcr6600 and front lens matters.
raynox 54-43 mm and c-ring will produce some vignetting IMO.
There should be a 62mm - series VII stepdown ring somewhere.

Fixing this part is quite simple - no vignetting of course!!
Sven

http://www.geocities.com/seemolf/addon/addon.html

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 2:18 PM   #5

Sven - I was never able to find that carpenters tape you used - and my son is a furniture maker! The electricle tape is holding up pretty well but summer is here with 90+ F temperatures and I'm leary of that plastic tape. I may end up using silicon sealant/adhesive though I'm not fond of that either. Is there an internet sourcefor the tape you used?

Fred
Old Jun 19, 2006, 2:52 PM   #6

I have asked my dictionary again.
These words are translations for the german "Umleimer".
(banding, lipping, edge band, edge foil,) edge veneer.

It is used to protect the small sides of:
"Spanplatte" = chipboard, (particle board), laminated fiber sheet.

A rather stiff material applicated with a heating iron.
Just look at fleaby for:
veneer iron on edging
veneer edging furniture banding iron

Sorry, these terms were out of reach for my school english.....
Your son is a lucky guy, he is using better kinds of wood!

Sven
Old Jun 19, 2006, 3:06 PM   #7

I'm familiar withand have someveneer edging. One side is iron-on and the other smooth wood grain veneer. I thought the tape you used was iron-on onone side and sticky/adhevive on the other (NOT wood grain veneer) and it was that sticky side that youstuck to the6600 housiingand then pressed the step ring onto the iron-on side - obviously without using an iron.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 3:14 PM   #8

Hi Fred,
this veneer edging was the first material that I found filling the gap perfectly.
I meant the "iron on" side when I said sticky - but it is not "sticky" under normal conditions....(sorry).
I hope your veneer edging has the same thickness.
I don't like connections with normal "sticky" tape - electric or not. Plumbers use some kind of telfon (PTFE) tape, this is a perfect choice too!

Sven

Old Jun 28, 2006, 1:01 PM   #9

Hi Fred & Sven,

Got the HD 6600 pro lens in and love it. I think it will become my favorite lens when I'm not shooting wild life. I called about the cRing and was guarenteed no veriegating, so I ordered the 62-43 cRing from LoveLife. I really like his product and use them when I can. Just had time for a couple of shots but there is no sign of variegating and I really like the effect of the lens. As far as I can tell the lens is about as close to the camera lens as it can be, without touching.
Attached Images

Old Jun 28, 2006, 1:02 PM   #10

#2 I need to get a hood for it now.
Attached Images