Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:41 AM   #11

I did read somewhere in dpreview forums someone else giving negative comments about FZ1, mainly focusing problem and noise at high ISO. I find that that's true after using it.

Actually I'm not qualified to be called a photographer. I'm just a casual shooter. I even don't know those f stops, aperture things. ops: (That's why I abandoned 2100 with all the manual controls.) I just like gadgets including digicam, pocket pc, computer etc...

You don't understand. We at the east side of the world don't have the luxurious 'return policy' when we buy something. We have to sell it as used/second hand item if we don't like it.
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 12:02 PM   #12

Just wondering, you mention that you have the camera set to "auto" By "auto" do you mean the little heart icon? If that's the case, then don't set it to the heart icon. This is "simple" mode and is basically meant for someone else using your camera (like as in "pardon me, but can you please take my picture).

I have read some of your other posts about the FZ1 and you have to understand that you are posting your criticisms in a Panasonic forum. You should expect people to defend the camera in a forum that was created to discuss Panasonic specifically. I am open to discussion on both the pros and cons of the FZ1 (no camera is perfect), but if you say that something is no good at "x" then be preparred to back up your comments.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 12:28 PM   #13

Yes of course I didn't use the Simple mode. That's for dummies.

Oh, OK. I thought I have the right to voice/share my experience and comments as a Panasonic user too?? If I'm other brand's user and come into this forum to criticise Panasonic that's not right.

I'm sorry for all that. I just hope that some 'advanced' users can shed some light to solve my problem. If so, then this FZ1 will be my ideal one.
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 12:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW2003
Oh, OK. I thought I have the right to voice/share my experience and comments as a Panasonic user too?? If I'm other brand's user and come into this forum to criticise Panasonic that's not right.
You can share your experience/comments, etc... nothing wrong with that. Just that you started off with "NO NOT FOR INDOORS" and that didn't exactly get you anywhere. As you can see by my pictures, the FZ1 does indoors just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW2003
I'm sorry for all that. I just hope that some 'advanced' users can shed some light to solve my problem. If so, then this FZ1 will be my ideal one.
I'm still learning too
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2003, 11:50 PM   #15

I have been using the FZ1 for the past 3 weeks in all sorts of situation and belief I can provide a reason on the noise level and low light. In most modes other than "simple", the FZ1 attempts to automatically determine the ISO setting. At ISO 400 together with the low lighting condition, many will find it unacceptable. ISO 400 for sports in adequate lighting condition is fine, but not in low lighting condition. What I normally do, is to force it to ISO 100 in low lighting condition. Like most FZ1 supporter, we understand that this is not the best camera in terms of its CCD. But for that price (US$350) together with the lens, its great. We have to understand that the CCD is one of the smallest in the market. So, for such a small CCD, the quality is acceptable.
Otime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 6:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otime
... So, for such a small CCD, the quality is acceptable.
Taking into account the limitations of a 2MP CCD, then I consider the FZ1's quality *Superb*.

Still, the abscence of manual diaphragm control cramps my style. I do hope the FZ2 will become available in Europe soon.

See my humble digital beginnings at
http://users.pandora.be/cisken/photo_album
(just 9 pics)

Sorry, I haven't yet learned how to make active thumbnails.
Oh well ... everybody begins as a newbie.
E Pericoloso Sporgersi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2003, 9:40 AM   #17

I must try reducing ISO to 100 even in low light conditions as someone suggested. Anyway I must confirm focus problems in such conditions. Last time at the press conference after a football match I was trying to get a photo for 5 minutes - and I failed! In those 5 minutes I must have changed around 50 positions, but I just couldn't get the focus.
About the noise, I find it too noisy at ISO 400, even in good light conditions (when I set it manually at 400, of course)
Trdi is offline   Reply With Quote