Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 19, 2006, 7:04 PM   #1

I'm looking into getting some macro lenses for my FZ30 but don't really want to spend too much. I want my photos to look pretty clear, but I don't expect perfection (ie vignetting and some blur around the edges may be acceptable). I saw these on B&H and wonder if anyone here has some opinion on these kinds of lenses.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&sku=56780
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:47 PM   #2

These lens kits consist of single element lens. They exhibit sharp focus in the center but softness towards the edges. Dual element lens or achromatics flatten the image so that sharp focus is obtained to the edges. That is what you want to get. They can be rather expensive. The Raynox dcr150 (~$40 at bugeyedigital) is an excellent 3-element +4 diopterlens that will work great with any of the fz series cameras including the fz30. It comes with a snap on adapter that fits any diameter from 52-67mm. The 55mm fz30 is in that range. The extra $20 for this lens is well worth it.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 10:59 PM   #3

That sounds pretty cool, thanks.

One other thing; do you find that this kind of lens is useful to carry around on walks, or do you typically have to set up your shot with a tripod?

Thanks!
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:59 AM   #4
scb

I have the FZ20 and carry a Nikon 6T in my small camera bag I use when hiking and taking longer walks. I'm using the Phayee adapter, so it is a srew on/off setup. I can get along pretty welll without a tripod. I have a monopod I carry when hiking, but only use it some of the time.

Part of the answer is a time issue. If you've stopped to really do a lot of shots of one subject, then it pays to set up the tripod and go for the best shot possible. Secondly, available light and wind play a factor. Bright light will aid in getting a sharper macro image. If it is windy, and the object you are shooting is moving, than you need to do whatever you can to shoot at a faster shutter speed.

Since you have a nice piece of glass on your camera, you'll be happier going with a better macro lens......I would avoid the cheapie lenses. Buy once and get it done rather than buying the budget lens, and then deciding to upgrade later........if your budget allows.
scb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:43 AM   #5

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
One other thing; do you find that this kind of lens is useful to carry around on walks, or do you typically have to set up your shot with a tripod?
Really no need for a tripod, IMO. It just gets in the way. You do want bright sunlight to get the shutter speed fast. The lens itself is quite small. With the supplied snap on adapter it is easily/quickly connected/disconnected. With the dcr150, you will focus from about 10" away throughout the zoom. Vignetting occurs below ~3x zoom but you seldom would be in that range anyway. I would start at mid-zoom to get acquainted with the macro lens. Asit becomes more comfortable, increase the zoom. The depth of field decreases as you increase zoom and at 10-12x it requires a pretty steady hand. Lock focus and move the camera physically a little closer/further to obtain maximum focus. Practice on fixed objects such as coins or jewelry.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 1:34 PM   #6

Can I use a close up lens with the MCON-40,On my FZ30 to get more magnification?

If so what would you recommend?

Thanks

Lello
lello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 2:13 PM   #7

lello wrote:
Quote:
Can I use a close up lens with the MCON-40,On my FZ30 to get more magnification?

If so what would you recommend?
Lello - Yes you can but I wouldn't use more than a +1 closeup. The higher the diopter the greater the degree of edge softness with the single element lens. The mcon40 doesn't have front threads so you will be placing the closeup lens on the camera first. Since diopter powers are additive you wiil have a total of +4 diopter with the stacked combo.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 2:28 PM   #8

Thanks

How muchmore magnificationwouldIget with a +1closeup stacked, And do you think it is worth it?
Lello
Old Jun 20, 2006, 4:10 PM   #9

lello wrote:
Quote:
How muchmore magnificationwouldIget with a +1closeup stacked, And do you think it is worth it?
Lello
I don't think the littleextra magnification is worth the possible quality decrease. You have 8mp to work with with the fz30. I would crop to increase the effective magnification. If you are interested in an excellentinexpensive high powered lens, get the +8 diopter dcr250 for $45 at bugeye. Same setup as dcr150.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:02 PM   #10

Thanks for your feedback, I usually only have the fz30 at 5mp I will try some shots at 8mp. Will keep you informed.

Lello