Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:22 AM   #1

Wading through the 2-GB images from my weekend in Morro Bay, CA. The FZ30's capability to go out to 1,130mm+ w/the 3-MP EZ 19.1 + the TCON17 is amazing when trying to capture distant images such as these raptors flying at the top of the Morro Rock...

Of course, there were a 'few' other feathered opportunities...

But I guess I had a fixation on getting the rare raptor images of a Peregrin Falcon...

Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2006, 5:51 PM   #2

Great photos, love the scenes. As you know, we don't have those scenes here in La.

What tripod are you using. I need a new one that easier, lighter and more flexible to use.

Thanks

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:33 PM   #3

bayourebel wrote:
Quote:
Great photos, love the scenes. As you know, we don't have those scenes here in La.
What tripod are you using. I need a new one that easier, lighter and more flexible to use.
Thanks
Jerry
Thanks, Jerry-

As I indicated in the IM,

None of my latest posted images were on a tripod. I took all of these with the digi mounted on my Manfrotto 681B monopod with the leg extensionsfully retracted. I've found the weight and length of themonopod body extendingout from the bottom of the digi gives me a bit of a moment arm that seems to dampen any handheld shakes and adds to the OIS effects. Its also easy to release the leg extensions quickly if there is a stationary subject opportunity.

The tripod that I have is somewhat of a lightweight - Sunpak 6400UT (Its in the image w/the guy w/ the Canon 20D and 500 f/4 lens that I previously posted of the Peregrine nest at Morro Bay.)

I have used the tripod as both a monopod/tripod at times where I'll have it mounted to the camera with the legs fully retracted/collapsed and taken photos of BIF as above. If/when the opportunity presents itself, its fairly easy to release the legs and setup as a tripod for more stable photos of a perched subject...

In either case, one just has to be careful when tracking moving subjectsasobjects/people nearby are in danger of getting whacked... (like the wife... :lol:
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote