Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:49 AM   #1

Having seen the opinions in this forum and, in particular, the great photos by fmoore I've decided to replace my Ricoh GR1 film camera with an FX01.

While I like the look of the black version, I'm less concerned with appearance than scratch resistance and would be just as happy withsilver. I wonder ifanyone who has an FX01 for a little while would have any opinions, please.

I look forward to posting some photos but don't think I'll be able to compete with some of the lovely ones I've seen here.

Thanks in anticipation, bryano

bryano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2006, 9:07 AM   #2

Bryano - Looking forward to seeing some more fx01 posts. I've had the blackone for about 3 months and have given it quite a bit of use, ~ 5000 shots with no scratches. Go for it!
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:16 PM   #3

i have a two year old silver fz20. and the poor thing looks like it's been through a war. it has very little of the silver left on the bottom due to sliding around a golf cart, and it has numerous dings due to multiple droppings and banging the handlebars of my bike.

but it works great, and i wouldn't trade it for a black one under any circumstances.
tafugate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 6:22 AM   #4

I am a proud owner of a Black FX01 (Retro quality) after looking at a display model of the silver version. I noticed that it's polished surface was prone to fine and not so fine scratches. If you want this "Rugged" quality, then fine.

The Black FX01 does not seem so prone, it's surface seems pretty durable and cleans well with a soft cloth. I have invested in a "Boxwave" camera skin for it to help with bumps etc. You see it is so dam compact I have forgotten that I have had it in my back pocket and sat down on it. No damage as yet!

"Try black and you won't go back" - allegedly

Dutch Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:37 AM   #5

Thank you all for advice. Iordereda black one from a German online shoptoday. Will probably take a week or so for delivery. Can't wait! bryano
Old Jun 22, 2006, 4:52 PM   #6

Dutch Dave - This is a wonderful shot. Unfortunately it's buried in a in a discussion of the fx01 build quality. It should be out in it's own thread with an appropriate title such fx01 low light.Many wouldbe buyers are concerned with the low light capabilites of the fx01 and this shot would go a long way to disspelling their concerns. Chances are they won't be looking at this thread for examples and discussion of fx01 low light issues. Give it some light! Only a suggestion.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 5:38 PM   #7

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Dutch Dave - This is a wonderful shot. Unfortunately it's buried in a in a discussion of the fx01 build quality. It should be out in it's own thread with an appropriate title such fx01 low light.Many wouldbe buyers are concerned with the low light capabilites of the fx01 and this shot would go a long way to disspelling their concerns. Chances are they won't be looking at this thread for examples and discussion of fx01 low light issues. Give it some light! Only a suggestion.

Good point - I am still a little shy of starting threads! The picture will be moved...
Dutch Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 5:43 PM   #8

Dutch Dave wrote:
Quote:
Good point - I am still a little shy of starting threads! The picture will be moved...
Sorry, Dave. You're too good to be shy! - Fred
Old Jun 23, 2006, 8:25 PM   #9

i live in hungary.
can anyone tell mi a good site,with good price to order the digital cam?
i dont now of i shuld pay any extra mony for tax.
i also go for FX01
alialexali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 6:21 PM   #10

Hi Alialexali

I've done quite a bit of research on this as prices here in Ireland are very high and, whilesome British online shops have good prices,theirexport delivery charges tend to be very high and most won't export atall.

These two German shops have an excellent reputation:

www.technikdirekt.de and www.pixxass.de

Both offer very good prices. Technikdirekt takes credit cards, bank transfer or cash on delivery,while Pixxass takes payment in advance by bank transfer or cash on delivery- no credit cards. Many Irish usersrecommend technikdirektand that's who I'll order from.

Now the bad news - both shops have run out of stock on most current model Panasonic cameras including FX01. I'm sure they'll be back soon though and I'm checking every day. I imagine that the Leica lens is a big selling point in Germany.

An advantage of buying from Germany is that you get a 2 year guarantee rather than the normal manufacturer's 1 year.

As regards tax, because Hungary is a member of the EU, I think youjust pay the standard German VAT rate when you purchase and you'll have no extra duty or tax at point of import. That's the case in my country anyway.

Good luck with your purchase and best wishes.

Bryano