Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:57 PM   #11

How is the low light performance of the FZ30 whenever using the camera flash built into the camera(Without using any add-on flash units!)? Please describe the results? Thanks!
koolshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 8:18 PM   #12

koolshot wrote:
Quote:
How is the low light performance of the FZ30 whenever using the camera flash built into the camera(Without using any add-on flash units!)? Please describe the results? Thanks!

Very good. The FZ30 has a relatively strong built-in flash which reaches well beyond 20ft in complete darkness, and it does quite wellfocusing in low light, too. I compared it to the built-in flash in my KM 5D DSLR and the FZ30 won hands down as far as reach and exposure areconcerned.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 9:42 PM   #13

rduve:

1)Thank you very much for your valuable input! This helps me a lot!

2)Since you have indicated that indoor photos turn outpretty nicewith the fairly powerful standardFZ30 camera flash, I can see that I won't need to worry about getting inferior low light performance! So, I'll just always plan on using the flash in low light conditions! If the flash is controlled well-then, my pictures should look good(Unlike the very underexposed pictures that were produced indoors using my very first digital camera(A Sony Mavica model FD85)).

3)I have taken everything so far under consideration and(Good, bad, or indifferent?)I have decided to buy the Panasonic FZ30! It just seems to me, that this camera just has too many positives, to just reject it, because of it's major complaint of greater than average noise at higher ISO settings? I don't like the short(90 day)Panasonic warranty though!

4)Speaking of digital camera warranties, how much longer(If any?)is the standard warranties from Sony and Canon, on their equivalent digital cameras?
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:57 PM   #14

For your indicated use, why not look at the FZ7 and save money. Pehaps look at another thread just below this one titled FZ20 v FZ7. I am probably wrong but I believe the FZ7 to be the smaller version of the FZ30 whereas the FZ5 was the partner to the FZ20 (which I have and love)
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:22 PM   #15

Bootneck3 wrote:
Quote:
For your indicated use, why not look at the FZ7 and save money. Pehaps look at another thread just below this one titled FZ20 v FZ7. I am probably wrong but I believe the FZ7 to be the smaller version of the FZ30 whereas the FZ5 was the partner to the FZ20 (which I have and love)

True, if size and money are issues, the FZ30 might be more than you need, based on the indicated use. The FZ5 or FZ7 might just do fine. But other than that, you cannot go wrong with the FZ30.

Rainer

Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:53 AM   #16

1)When I first became interested in the Panasonic FZ series of digital cameras, I initially had decided to buy an FZ7. However, after seeing how nice and professional looking that the FZ30 was, I decided that I would prefer it instead. Since I'm not intending to pack the camera around much, I wanted to get the bigger and heavier FZ30. And, the the EFV and LCD is much brighter and nicer than on the FZ30. Despite the extra expense for the FZ30, I just wanted to get this fancier and feature rich camera! I'm sure that the FZ30 will prove to be more than enough camera for me!

2)One thing that I noticed in the specifications for the FZ20 is that it's Leica lense was rated at f2.8 from the wide angle to the telephoto end. My question here is, to what advantage(If any?)would this FZ20 lens be on the FZ30, if Panasonic would have carried over this lens to the FZ30? I don't know if I'm remembering the telephoto end range on the FZ30 to be around f3.7 or not-but, can anyone think of a reason why Panasonic had changed this high end telephoto number from the f2.8 on the FZ20 up to f3.7 on the FZ30? How does this higher number affect the photos at full telephoto extension? Is the affect good or bad-or, just somewhat negative, on the FZ30?
Old Jun 23, 2006, 1:17 AM   #17

koolshot wrote:
Quote:
1)When I first became interested in the Panasonic FZ series of digital cameras, I initially had decided to buy an FZ7. However, after seeing how nice and professional looking that the FZ30 was, I decided that I would prefer it instead. Since I'm not intending to pack the camera around much, I wanted to get the bigger and heavier FZ30. And, the the EFV and LCD is much brighter and nicer than on the FZ30. Despite the extra expense for the FZ30, I just wanted to get this fancier and feature rich camera! I'm sure that the FZ30 will prove to be more than enough camera for me!

2)One thing that I noticed in the specifications for the FZ20 is that it's Leica lense was rated at f2.8 from the wide angle to the telephoto end. My question here is, to what advantage(If any?)would this FZ20 lens be on the FZ30, if Panasonic would have carried over this lens to the FZ30? I don't know if I'm remembering the telephoto end range on the FZ30 to be around f3.7 or not-but, can anyone think of a reason why Panasonic had changed this high end telephoto number from the f2.8 on the FZ20 up to f3.7 on the FZ30? How does this higher number affect the photos at full telephoto extension? Is the affect good or bad-or, just somewhat negative, on the FZ30?

The reason why Panasonic chose to reduce the aperture by about 2/3's of an f-stop is that the larger sensor of the FZ30 would require a larger and heavier lens in order to give it a constant 2.8 aperture. The FZ20's sensor only has a diameter of 1/2.5" whille the FZ30's CCD measures 1/1.8". Anything smaller would create even more noise since you'd be trying to pack 8 MP into the same space as the 5MP of the FZ20 sensor. The disadvantage is, of course, that you lose almost a full f-stop at the tele-end, meaning you have to use a little longer exposure at f3.7 than at f2.8. If you could take a low light shot with the FZ20at 1/30 second, you'd have to use about 1/20 on the FZ30 (at the same ISO setting), which could mean the difference between blurring or not. But all-in-all that difference is really not that dramatic and would really just affect a small percentage of the shots you take (those in very low light without a flash in the upper zoom range). Hope that helps.

By the way, while I loved the FZ20 and FZ30 (I had them both), I moved up to the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D DSLR. I added a Tamron 28-300 XR lens (on sale for $149) and for just a little more than the FZ30 I now have a11x ultra-zoom DSLR withCCD-based Image stabilization and practically without any noise up to ISO 1600. If you are spending $500-600 ayway, you might as well go all the way. However, warranty claims could be an issue now that Minolta is transitioning to Sony and as I said earlier, the built-in flash is not quite as powerful as on the FZ30. On the other hand, a sensor that is 10x larger and the ability to swap lenses make more than up for any minus the KM5D might have vs. the FZ30. You can't go wrong with either though. Both GREAT choices.

Rainer

Old Jun 23, 2006, 2:25 AM   #18

rduve:

1)Thanks for explaining the differences between the length of exposure needed between the F2.8 on the FZ20 and the F3.7 on the FZ30 on the telephoto end.

2)How do you interpret the exposure length numbers of 1/20 and 1/30-as I'm a little confused? I was trying to view these numbers as fractions-which would make the 1/20 number to be of shorter(Rather than longer?)duration than would the 1/30 number? However, if these numbers are not fractions-then I'll need to obtain an explanation on how to interpret these numbers? I do understand that the F3.7 stop on the FZ30, requires a longer exposure than does the F2.8 stop on the FZ20!

3)I see the advantage in your moving up to the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5d DSLR(With the Tamron 28-300 XR type lens)therefore obtaining an image stabilized lens along with the better performance that an DSLR would normally give over a non-DSLR digital camera, like the Panasonic FZ30! However, for my current needs, I'd like to think that the FZ30 would be more than capable? On the other hand, if I should eventually get really "Enthused" about getting heavily involved in photography-then, I'd probably feel that I should do as you have advised, regarding moving up to an DSLR with a good lens as you have recommended? I'll certainly keep your advice in mind? Since I'm a beginner, I'm eager to learn all I can about the FZ30 as well as anything else that is relevant to my learning curve about photography? All of the great input that I have already received from everyone on this forum, has increased my knowledge immensely! Especially, since three days ago, I knew virtually nothing about digital cameras! However, I have spent these last three days, with my eyes glued to my computer, trying to learn all that I could from this(And, other)digicam forums? However, I'm finding the help from this forum to be the absolute best! I'm pleased with all of the input that has been coming in here, pertaining to this thread!
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:16 PM   #19

koolshot wrote:
Quote:
rduve:

1)Thanks for explaining the differences between the length of exposure needed between the F2.8 on the FZ20 and the F3.7 on the FZ30 on the telephoto end.

2)How do you interpret the exposure length numbers of 1/20 and 1/30-as I'm a little confused? I was trying to view these numbers as fractions-which would make the 1/20 number to be of shorter(Rather than longer?)duration than would the 1/30 number? However, if these numbers are not fractions-then I'll need to obtain an explanation on how to interpret these numbers? I do understand that the F3.7 stop on the FZ30, requires a longer exposure than does the F2.8 stop on the FZ20!

3)I see the advantage in your moving up to the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5d DSLR(With the Tamron 28-300 XR type lens)therefore obtaining an image stabilized lens along with the better performance that an DSLR would normally give over a non-DSLR digital camera, like the Panasonic FZ30! However, for my current needs, I'd like to think that the FZ30 would be more than capable? On the other hand, if I should eventually get really "Enthused" about getting heavily involved in photography-then, I'd probably feel that I should do as you have advised, regarding moving up to an DSLR with a good lens as you have recommended? I'll certainly keep your advice in mind? Since I'm a beginner, I'm eager to learn all I can about the FZ30 as well as anything else that is relevant to my learning curve about photography? All of the great input that I have already received from everyone on this forum, has increased my knowledge immensely! Especially, since three days ago, I knew virtually nothing about digital cameras! However, I have spent these last three days, with my eyes glued to my computer, trying to learn all that I could from this(And, other)digicam forums? However, I'm finding the help from this forum to be the absolute best! I'm pleased with all of the input that has been coming in here, pertaining to this thread!
1) You are welcome

2) These numbers are fractions. 1/20th of a second is longer than 1/30th of a second. You got it backwards. If you take a string and cut it into 20 pieces each piece is going to be longer then if you had cut it into 30 pieces, correct?

3) If you are a newbie, the FZ30 should more than suffice, and you might never even want to make the transition to a DSLR.

Have fun with it!

Rainer

Old Jun 23, 2006, 1:26 PM   #20

rduve:

1)Thanks again, for the great information!

2)Thanks also, for waking me up regarding the fractions of 1/20 versus 1/30! You are absolutely correct in that 1/30 is a shorter duration than is 1/20! I'm just beginning to get a little senile in my elder years! I'm getting pretty forgetful too!

3)I had to pay a little more at a local camera shop for the FZ30(Compared to online prices!)but, since I'm a perfectionist, I didn't like the idea of possibly getting an FZ30 online, the very likely could have been a return item? I prefered to be able to pick a NIB FZ30, that had never been opened or returned for some reson! I had to do a lot of arm twisting to get the camera shop to do this for me though! I got the results that I wanted(Despite the pain of the $75 extra cost!)!

4)I'm looking forward to really having fun with my new FZ30!