Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 25, 2006, 12:10 AM   #31

For me, its a non-issue. I'm sure most all other prosumer digis have similar 'fuses' soldered to the circuit board. Keep in mind that a 'fuse' is a safety feature to prevent more catastropic damage from ocurring in the event of a voltage/amperage exceedence. And, then too, the fuse is not, I believe, the same sort of fuse you're familiar with and would not be something a consumer would want or be able to replace as in a car, say...

Me thinks new digi purchasers are sometimes overthinking these sort of issues. He**, even my new $35K+ Durango had low AC refrigerant when I purchased it. Look at the overall aspects of the camera that interest you... does it offer the features and capabilities you desire and is needed for your interests? Has it been shown to be a proven and capable camera, by and large?

Any digi out there, if one wants to find faults and be frozen w/fear about making a bad decision because of their perceived issues, will keep you from getting enjoyment of actually owning and taking photos... There is no perfect camera but there can be no image unless one has a camera and pushes the shutter...

I guess my ranting is to suggest that I'm more of an optimist... I looked for the digi that offered me the features that I want; not as a pessimist trying to document all of the 'what ifs' so I can have something to blame if something goes wrong after I possibly experience buyer's remorse (w/digi's - its usually more due to lack of operator technique/experience more times than not...).

Yes, by all means, do your 'due diligence' but, if there's any 'fire behind the smell of the smoke', it would be more than apparent on the forums with multiple incidents bemoaning the purchase... I just haven't seen any postings on the Pany forums to suggest this is the case...

Whew.. thanks for letting me vent...

I just dida search on fuse and found 56 incidents on Steve's in all of the thousands and thousands of postings..

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/search.php?s=1&q=fuse

Of these, the following reflects camera fuse issues (as best as I could discern...)

one about a similar 'fuse' soldered on a Canon PowerShot...http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...highlight=fuse

Oly UZ2100 http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...highlight=fuse

Nikon Coolpix 8800 http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...highlight=fuse

One possible FZ30 fuse issue (2005) (never followed up w/post on what happened)...http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...highlight=fuse

Sony MVC350...http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...highlight=fuse

Canon 300D...http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...highlight=fuse

I'd submit that its apparently rare but endemic (pandemic) to digi cameras... Guess we need to go back to film cameras w/mechanical mechnisms...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 12:30 AM   #32

I'm glad that you did some ranting-because, in the end, I'm sure that if there happens to be any real problems with this certain fuse, that pertains only to Panasonic FZ30's-then, this will bring this potential problem, clearly out into the open? On the other hand, this could very well shed some light on this really not being much of a problem at all, to be worried about? My original concern(And, purpose!)was only to attempt to determine if the few known failures with these fuses blowing in the FZ30's, were the result of a certain defect, in the design of these cameras-or, if due to an operator error(Or, overloaded condition?)or, if from some other very unusual situation? In other words, if this is not a weakness in the FZ30's(And, if these fuses should only fail in a once in a blue moon, situation?)then, I shall never let this bother me again-as I would no longer feel a need, to be worried about this certain fuse just blowing at random for no good reason?
koolshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 12:39 AM   #33

koolshot wrote:
Quote:
I'm glad that you did some ranting-because, in the end, I'm sure that if there happens to be any real problems with this certain fuse, that pertains only to Panasonic FZ30's-then, this will bring this potential problem, clearly out into the open? On the other hand, this could very well shed some light on this really not being much of a problem at all, to be worried about? My original concern(And, purpose!)was only to attempt to determine if the few known failures with these fuses blowing in the FZ30's, were the result of a certain defect, in the design of these cameras-or, if due to an operator error(Or, overloaded condition?)or, if from some other very unusual situation? In other words, if this is not a weakness in the FZ30's(And, if these fuses should only fail in a once in a blue moon, situation?)then, I shall never let this bother me again-as I would no longer feel a need, to be worried about this certain fuse just blowing at random for no good reason?
Sorry, Koolshot... You were making a good point and didn't deserve my tirade that wasn't justified...:sad:

I guess I need to be reported and go on probation for exhibiting atypical Pany forum member postings... (and spelling errors...)

Sincere apologies...

I did go over and did a search on DPR - found there were 2-3 similar issues of fuses w/FZ30 since 2005. At least one had the camera replaced and one was apparently successfully repaired. Again, it would not appear to be exclusive to the FZ30 and not as big of an issue considering the lack of many numbers

Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 12:56 AM   #34

Telecorder:

There is no need for you to have to apologize to me for what you had said! I appreciate what you have done-because, if you had not started venting-then, you would never have been "Roused" enough to probe more deeply into this matter, to have arrived at the very interesting links to shed a great deal more light on this fuse situation! Now, you have given me some great new, information to pursue, in the links above! Your reaction, turned out very "Positive" indeed! Thank you, very much!
Old Jun 25, 2006, 12:23 PM   #35

So, koolshot, you said in a posting above that you had bought the FZ30 at a local store. How do you like it? Have you taken any shots? Share some if you will. Don't worry about fuses blowing up or the earth swallowing you. Just take some pictures.

:-)

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 6:30 PM   #36

rduve:

1)thanks for your positive advice and recommendations!

2)No, my FZ30 is still in it's box. I'm going to first obtain an Hoya Super HMC(UV)filter for it to protect the lens. Next, I'll need to orient myself to the FZ30 by reading the appropriate sections in the owner's manual?

3)Do you happen to know, if the aforementioned Hoya(UV)filter will help any under flourescent lighting(Or, not?)? If not, then what is a good basic, Hoya Fl filter to get?
Old Jun 25, 2006, 8:40 PM   #37

It's just about the best filter you can get. I also recommend a polarizer.

You sure are a very careful and thorough man. Hope you'll get to take some pictures soon. The best way to study the manual, by the way, is hands-on with the camera while performing the functions you are studying.

Rainer
Old Jun 25, 2006, 9:09 PM   #38

rduve:

1)Thanks for your nice compliment! However, although I'm doing my best to learn all thatI can, I'm certainly a long ways, from havingthe "Expertise' that you and the other fellas on this forum have!

2)Yes, I kinda thought that the Hoya filters were pretty good-based upon whatI had read recently!

3)Did you also mean, that the Hoya Super HMC(UV)(0)filter would satisfy the requirement for shooting under flourescent lighting-or, only that it was about the best filter for protecting the lens, as well as for excellent protection from ultra violet rays from the sun, outdoors? Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 2006, 9:58 PM   #39

koolshot wrote:
Quote:
rduve:

1)Thanks for your nice compliment! However, although I'm doing my best to learn all thatI can, I'm certainly a long ways, from havingthe "Expertise' that you and the other fellas on this forum have!

2)Yes, I kinda thought that the Hoya filters were pretty good-based upon whatI had read recently!

3)Did you also mean, that the Hoya Super HMC(UV)(0)filter would satisfy the requirement for shooting under flourescent lighting-or, only that it was about the best filter for protecting the lens, as well as for excellent protection from ultra violet rays from the sun, outdoors? Thanks!

The filter isgoodto protect from UV rays outside or inside, but it does not affect the white balance of the camera, meaning if you shoot without flash in flourescent light, you need to set the white balance correctly, otherwise you'd get strangely greenish shots. You can see in the manual on how to do that. Generally you'd use the flash, and the white balance is set automatically. By the way, glass generally blocks most UV rays anyway. I think UV filters are overrated. But it's good to have a protective filter in front of your valuable Leica lens.

Rainer

http://euromaninla.zoto.com/galleries
Old Jun 26, 2006, 12:33 AM   #40

rduve:

Am I understanding you correctly, that if I use the flash indoors, that since the white balance would be automatically adjusted under these conditions anyway, that I wouldn't need to get an special FL filter for indoor flourescent lighting? If I'm wrong, then, please let me know-and, correct me on this? Thanks!