Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 22, 2006, 12:46 PM   #1

Hi-

Thanks to all of your posts, I just bought the fx-01 - can't wait to try it out! My question is the guy on the phone convinced me to buy a 2 hr battery (he said the one it comes with only lasts 30 min). Is this true? I hope I didn't get ripped off...I didn't hear anything about that (the battery only lasting 30 min)- I just heard it had good life.

I guess it is good to have a spare battery, just added a lot to my cost with an extra battery and a 512 card. I paid about ...oh wait, he convinced me to get the 5 hr battery which cost $99. Is this a good deal? Now I'm all nervous because I spent a lot of money.....

$260 for the camera (good deal!)
$80 for the 512 card (he said it required this special card for the movie mode and to see the pics fast on the LCD)
$99 for a 5 hr battery

Did i do ok? I thought i was paying $260 and was all excited, now I feel like I am paying a lot...

thanks for any feedback
laxgirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2006, 1:38 PM   #2

Where are you buying it from? They seem to be a shady company if they are lying about the battery life of the camera. For $260 that is a good price because I paid $270 for mine at bhphoto.com. but they didnt try to up-sale me on extra parts. It is very common for shady seller to try and upsale you parts that you dont need. Also they could say something like you need a battery because the camera dont come with on.

$100 for a battery seems to be very expensive even for a real panasonic battery. I bet you are not getting a real OEM panasonic battery, but a generic battery that you can pick up at ebay for $10 or so. $80 for the 512mb memory card is VERY expensive, newegg.com has a 4GB SD card for $80 or so. If you dont need 4GB you can get a 1GB for $25 shipped.

BTW, the FX01 is a really great camera. Battery life really cant be measured in terms of time. If that is the case, my FX01 has a battery life of 2 week so far! The stock battery is rated to be about 320 pictures and that is half with Flash and measured in a certian way like how many times they turned the camera on/off. I have close to 300 shots so far and the battery only lose one bar. but I did shoot many rapid shots. Under normal use, you should get close to 400 shots before you have to recharge it.

If you havent, I would cancel the orders on the extra parts and hot they dont try to jack you on the camera itself. I would spend the extra $10 or $20 on a reliable company where you know what you are getting. I tend to buy where it is cheap online with all of my electronics, but a camera is one of those thing where you really have to be careful.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 3:18 PM   #3

$260 is a great price for the camera. The card and battery are rip offs. The Panasonic CGA-S005 battery that comes with the fx01 is as good as you can get. An extra 3rd party battery goes for around $15-20 delivered on ebay. You can get a decent 2gb sd card at neweggfor $43 delivered. NEVER give in to the add-ons hype at these etailers. Just get the good priced item and get out. There are always better deals elsewhere. Chalk it up to experience and enjoy your fx01. It's a great little camera.

Btw, while the fx01 will accept a 4gb sd card, it will only use 2gb. 2gb will give you about 25 minutes of high quality video. I would definitely get a 2gb card to go with the 512mb.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 3:30 PM   #4

Thanks for your feedback - I should have known better- I did the research and no one mentioned a bad battery! So...I just canceled that order and am going to buy at bhphoto- I've heard good things from them here.

Also, thanks for the link to that 2 gb card - ordering that also.

Thanks so much!! I'll post some pics when I finally get the camera.
Old Jun 22, 2006, 4:42 PM   #5

laxgirl24 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your feedback - I should have known better- I did the research and no one mentioned a bad battery! So...I just canceled that order and am going to buy at bhphoto- I've heard good things from them here.
Can't go wrong with B&H. That's where I got my fx01. If you dont mind, where did you see the $260 price?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2006, 5:56 PM   #6

I found the $260 price on stargatephoto.com - I strongly reccommend to anyone to NOT buy from them. Sleezy, rude sales people - the sales guy even had the nerve to call me a LOSER for spending time doing research on the web!! Um - how did he think people found out about his website!

I have learned an important lesson- when buying things you care about, spend a few extra dollars to get from someone you trust. Much less to worry about *** bought the camera from bhphoto.com for $300 including shipping and it will be here in 3 days!! I'm happy about it- also got the 2 gig memory card from newegg you reccommended.

Old Jun 22, 2006, 7:58 PM   #7

Well, sound like you got lucky, laxgirl24.

Stargatephoto'srating at Reseller Ratings is terrible. http://www.resellerratings.com/seller9573.html

I went to their web site and saw they are in Brooklyn, NY. Then I went here and looked them up. http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0062.htm

I personally can't say whether they are a reputable business or not, but judging from your experience and what I just read.. let's just say I won't be buying anything from them.

Live and learn... and enjoy your new camera! My brother has one and he loves it.
:|
RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 10:49 AM   #8

Yes, I agree with RedStickMan about resellerratings.com. I always check a store rating with them before I make any online purchase. Spread the word to your friends about that web site: www.resellerratings.com. You will avoid making a mistake like this in the future.
BTW, for the benefit of others who are considering the FX-01, you can get the FX-01 at another excellent online vendor for
$281.16 shipped. Go to www.6ave.com. They only charge .16 for shipping and they use UPS Ground. I have purchased cameras from them before and they are a great outfit. When I bought my FX-01 I bought my SD card and extra battery on eBay and saved a bundle of money. I purchased a 2GB Lexar SD card for just $54.00! Beachcamera.com and Buydig.com are also very reputable vendors from whom I purchased cameras with great satisfaction. All the best to you laxgirl24 with your new FX-01. Let us know how you like it.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote