Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:25 PM   #1

My first sunset with the FZ30. These pictures were captured after a thunder storm on the way home. Parked the car on the side of the highway and started shooting. The colours were nice but the locale....

All shots straight out of the camera. No processing.
Attached Images

Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:26 PM   #2

Another shot.
Attached Images

Old Jun 22, 2006, 10:28 PM   #3

sunset #3
Attached Images

Old Jun 22, 2006, 11:01 PM   #4

Macnite, love the sunsets you all have. Where I am at two many large trees, etc. block most sunsets, but even then we don't have many as dramatic as these.

Enjoyed, good work with FZ30.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:52 AM   #5

Thanks Jerry, appreciateyour comments.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 2:53 AM   #6

Great shots, nice and sharp.

FZ30 does a great job, but you need the eye to get it.

Steve
stevetracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:57 AM   #7

Thanks for looking and commentingSteve.

I waskind of nervous posting my sunsetconsidering the greatsunsets of Squirl and others. I love to have otherscritique/commenting onmy pictures pointing out my mistakes so that I can improve.

Emmanuel
Old Jul 1, 2006, 2:58 AM   #8

Emmanuel,

since you asked, here are some suggestions...

these are all basically quite good shots. ilove the colors. i'm not terribly fond of the light poles in the composition; in my mind, sunsets are best with only minimal intrusion of man-made artifacts.i know youshot these from the side ofthe highway, and that definitely limits your options,buttry to get away from such distractions as much as you can.

also try to includea little moreforeground in the composition so there's not too much sky. sunsetswork best, IMHO,witha frame of reference - a distant treeline, some sort of horizon. this is one instance where the rule of thirds actually applies. it's not hard and fast, of course, but to me sunset photos just seem to look better with something occupying the bottom 3rd or so of the image...

also, you can often make sunsets more dramatic with a couple of simple adjustments. i use Irfanview editor for most basic work, but you can easily do the same thing using Photoshop or Picasa or whatever editor you use. i usually reduce the gamma correctiona tad, to something like .92, or perhaps .88 (in PS, this would be the levels function). this darkens the image, especially the shadow areas. then i heighten the contrast a bit. this improves the definition of the clouds and accents the different colors. i've taken the liberty of tweaking one of yours slightly, just as an example. i know you didn't process your shots at all, and the colors are frankly amazing forunprocessed photos, but sometimes just a few minor adjustments can really make the image "pop".

Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 12:39 PM   #9

What light poles? :blah:

Got to love the clone stamp tool!

Attached Images

RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 11:55 PM   #10

Squirl, thank you for your suggestions. Your points are well taken. As you have pointed out I was trying to get away from man made distractions but on this case it was impossible. The poles were in the way. I just bought a photo editor (Paint Shop Pro 9) hopefully I'll set it up this weekendand start learning! Thank you for taking the time.

Emmanuel