Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 24, 2006, 6:15 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
tchuanye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,279
Default

Had a 1.5hr shoot at a nature reserve.

Tried out my new homemade diffuser....a white corrugated plastic...(those sold at bookshops....smooth on outside, and in-between its corrugated)....seems to work quite ok.

FZ10+6T+Sigma CU, F8, 1/60s, ISO50, Ext flash with diffuser

Managed to shoot a JS and first time, a pill bug...hope I named it correctly.

#1: Stressed out JS (found on the wooden railing)
Obviously stressed! White hairs all round! :lol:


#2:Quite a large fella...


#3:Over the Edge


#4: The New flash diffuser is in my eyes!


#5: Pill bug


#6:My Helmet
tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:49 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
RedStickMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 447
Default

Great shots, as always! Looks like the diffuser is working good for you. I like how the background colors in the JS picsmatch his coloring. And those hairs sticking up on his head make him look like a punk rocker from the 1980's!

I've recently gotten into macro photography a bit and have had decent success, but lighting seems to be hard for me to get right. I have a Sunpak 433 and diffuser, but since everything is manual there's a lot of trial and error on my part.

It's your photos that really inspired me to get the Raynox lenses and get into some bugs faces.

Keep them coming!


RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:49 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 44
Default

Every time I think I'm getting a bit better at macro shots I look at a post like this and realize I'm not even in the same league yet. These are really great shots.

I am using an omnibounce diffuser with a sunpak 383, what angle do you usually leave the flash at when you're using your diffuser? I usually keep mine about 60 degrees at the lowest power setting but I'm thinking maybe I should have it at 90 to get more of the even light across the subject.

Great pics!
T
Twitch1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 12:32 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
seemolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,255
Default

Amazing, or as said before: a different league!
Sven

p.s. that is a fantastic "star wars bug"
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 6:55 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Narmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,813
Default

Tchuanye I don't know who's gonna win the FIFA soccer World Cup, but surely you are the champion right here

Narmer


Ps although bouncing seems to always provide better results than diffusing, I can't image a better result than this, in the posted pics
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 9:32 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Rockingham Western Australia
Posts: 592
Default

My wife reckons that when there is nothing else to be said, I go on and say it.

So! Brilliant , amazing and inspiring...Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 11:29 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
annie57's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,613
Default

Those photos are excellent...hard to believe u can take a critter, make it seem it is alien, and still have it look "cute"!!!
annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 4:30 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
tchuanye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,279
Default

RedStickMan wrote:
Quote:
I've recently gotten into macro photography a bit and have had decent success, but lighting seems to be hard for me to get right. I have a Sunpak 433 and diffuser, but since everything is manual there's a lot of trial and error on my part.

Keep them coming!

Thanks RedStickMan! Yes there is alot of trial and error with manual settings.

Twitch1977 wrote:
Quote:
I am using an omnibounce diffuser with a sunpak 383, what angle do you usually leave the flash at when you're using your diffuser? I usually keep mine about 60 degrees at the lowest power setting but I'm thinking maybe I should have it at 90 to get more of the even light across the subject.

Great pics!
T
Thanks T!

Well, frankly, I am using an off shoe sync cord, so the flash is handheld. When I shoot, I don't really pay attn to the angle....shoot....review...adjust camera or flash angle to get end effect.

But when I used the hotshoe last time, there are a few parameters to adjust.
Shoot and review.....assuming overexposed..
1) Adjust flash power down
2) or tilt flash up...towards 90 deg
3) Or increase shutter speed (if in M mode)

Any 3 of these will compensate for overexposed shots. Do the opposite for under exposure










tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 4:42 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
tchuanye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,279
Default

seemolf wrote:
Quote:
Amazing, or as said before: a different league!
Sven

p.s. that is a fantastic "star wars bug"
Thanks! I found out that the bug could be a type of cockroach!


Narmer wrote:
Quote:
Tchuanye I don't know who's gonna win the FIFA soccer World Cup, but surely you are the champion right here

Narmer


Ps although bouncing seems to always provide better results than diffusing, I can't image a better result than this, in the posted pics
Well, Arg, and Ger are thru....so see who is next...guess you will be rooting for ITA?

Thanks Narmer for your comments!

Bootneck3 wrote:
Quote:
My wife reckons that when there is nothing else to be said, I go on and say it.

So! Brilliant , amazing and inspiring...Fred
Thanks!










tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 4:43 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
tchuanye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,279
Default

annie57 wrote:
Quote:
Those photos are excellent...hard to believe u can take a critter, make it seem it is alien, and still have it look "cute"!!!
Thanks annie!


tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 PM.