Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:47 PM   #1

I'm not sure where my text went?

I've had my FZ5 for about 7 months now. I gotta be honest, the picture quality stinks. My old Olympus D580 took better pictures. Outdoors it's just OK, indoors it falls on its face.

If the flash fires, the pic's look washed out. Am I the only one?

Is the FZ7 any better?

Here's a link to some pic's I took. Check out the last ones.

http://www.quriverside.com/magicgallery/QU_2006.htm

ysr_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:53 PM   #2

I'm not sure where my text went?

I've had my FZ5 for about 7 months now. I gotta be honest, the picture quality stinks. My old Olympus D580 took better pictures. Outdoors it's just OK, indoors it falls on its face.

If the flash fires, the pic's look washed out. Am I the only one?

Is the FZ7 any better?

Here's a link to some pic's I took. Check out the last ones.

http://www.quriverside.com/magicgallery/QU_2006.htm
Old Jun 25, 2006, 8:15 PM   #3

Racer-

Not sure of what your issues are. Your gallery has small. 50-60kb images that appear to have a lot of compression jaggies evident. No EXIF info for any of the images so can't really tell what your settings were.

Your indoor flash images seemed to be OK for the most part. There were one or two that appear to have low shutter speed that caused motion blur. The 'washed out' images seemed to be more due to the flash and possibly exposure settings possibly used. My FZ5 isn't the easiest to get indoor flash images right without some adjustment of the flash strength and aperature settings used. But, then again, the FZ line is known for not being the easiest to get great indoor flash images without a bit of operator-technique work...

The outdoor images seemed to be pretty good albeit with low resolutions, again, of 50-60kb...

You might post the original 'problematic'images with the EXIF on an accessible site (not on the forum post) so others can view and comment on the perceived issues.
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 8:39 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. I shoot on auto program, flash -1/3, IS2, WB auto, sens auto, pict size 2048, quality - mid, metering mode - top one, AF 1H, Pict ADJ - Standard.

Here's a link to a full size pic:

http://www.quriverside.com/qu086.jpg
Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:15 PM   #5

I noticed the EXIF indicates the image was shot atISO400; f/2.8 1/60-sec... I normally would be shooting w/fixed 80-ISO, 100 usually max. At 200/400 only if really bad lighting and too distant for effective flash.

I think this is the issue for this image. Auto ISO over exposed for the flash v distance in this case. As I said, I've had similar issues w/my FZ5 indoors w/flash, as well. But I've learned to set fixed ISO to 80/100 and set flash to -1/3EV if I'm <10' from subjects and have had better success.

In this case, the over exposure and high ISO let you down.

Same for outdoors, I'd suggest setting a fixed ISO at 80 and use P-mode to let camera adjust for that speed.

You said the outdoors images were OK, same Auto ISO?

Others on the forum might want to weigh in w/their opinons/suggestions.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 3:11 AM   #6

Hi,

I needed some time to get better pictures than those taken with my Canon A70.

But today the shots are much better after some processing!

I read the tests and decided that I will not use this camera for indoor shots, low light conditions and shots with onboard flash.Some of us manage these condition too, but I had to find some "work-arounds" to improve my technique.

There are excellent slave flashes available. A tripod or a wide converter helps with many indoor situations. Just play around, the FZ5 can do better!

The minor changes of the FZ7 will not solve your problems.

http://geocities.com/seemolf/

Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:07 AM   #7

I had the d490 (my son is still using it) and it took better flash shots than the fz5. As others have stated, try to keep the iso at 200 or below and intensify the flash. Or better yet, if you will be taking alot of flash shots, get a slave. I actually don't find the shots on your site all that bad. Some are underexposed a little. The lighting looked somewhat overcast. I keep my fz5 on wb cloudy almost all the time.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 3:12 PM   #8

Hi,

The FZ5 works fine. It takes sometimes (often) better pictures than when I worked with "old analogic cameras" (Agfa Billy Record 6x9, Roleiflex 6x6 1934, some Ricoh 24x36mm).

But, as these "old cameras", it is not a "point & shoot". You need to work with and find your own settings to be creative. A basic photo techniques knowledge is always an asset with such a camera.

Xophe

Xophedebx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:07 PM   #9

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Some are underexposed a little. The lighting looked somewhat overcast. I keep my fz5 on wb cloudy almost all the time.

Will that help with the underexposed pic's. I gotta tell you, it's got a great lens and NO shutter lag, but the picture quaility stinks.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:12 PM   #10

Racer-

Take heart... best advice is patience, practice and perserverance. It took me nearly 3-months (and nearly 3,000 images) before I started getting consistently good images with my FZ5. My initial image quality was not on par with your initial postings. This is going out every weekend and taking hundreds of images.

The FZ7 digi is a prosumer, not a point & shoot. That's pro... as in professional and ...sumer as in you the consumer. You have a 'bridge' digi that's is to bridge you between the instant gratification of a point & shoot and a professional digi for... well the capability for professional images. Its up to you to put in the effort to learn the techniques and master them. Once you do this, the results will come.

You say you've had your FZ7 for 7-months... how many images are you up to on it? If you're into multiple thousands in that 7-months, then maybe a point & shoot is better suited for your style of shooting. If not, I'd venture to say that its more to your lack of experience, IMHO.

From the images that you've posted, it does not appear to be an issue with the camera but, rather, your inexperience with it. The camera has advance settings that, once you have more experience and a better understanding of how to use them in different settings to effect the desired results, is capable of great images.

Keep practicing, post often and ask for constructive advice as to how to better your technique. Read some of the excellent web sites on aperature, shutter speed, ISO, manual verus aperature-priority, meteringand the like to understand how they correlate and work with or against each other in getting a good exposure.

Frustration is a normal part of the learning curve. Go back to the end of last year and look at the postings from some of the 'newbies' posting about their new FZ-xx at that time and then fast forward 6-months and look at their images. Look at their obvious frustration levels in their postings. And look at how posts they averaged per week and how many images they posted and inquired of how to improve...

Again, patience, practice and perserverance...

I just went back over at DPR and looked at some posts by this FZ5 photog from January of this year wherein she was ready to throw it out due to inability to get good images. I hope you don't mind Kim, but you've come a long way girl...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=19003662