Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 26, 2006, 9:25 PM   #1

My new flash is a Holgon 280 PC Auto with twistable head (GN 28 @ iso 100).
Light duration in AUTO, 1/1.000 sec.
Light duration in Manual, 1/1.000-1/20.000

1)Both in preset and in Manual, it is impossible to use the EV compensation.
If I have the ext. flash on the hot shoe, and for example I am in A-mode, I meter 1/60 sec at F/8, when I set the EV to -1 or -2, it remains to 1/60...
Only in M-mode I can change both parameters. I image this is normal and doesn't depend on the flash type.

2) More important: flash syncro cable (the small type one, notTTL):
Iconnect the external flash to the FZ20 via a small adaptor fixed on the hotshoe, then I connected both with the syncro cable (which surely works as the adaptor does, for I tried different ones) but the flash won't fire by this way, only when directly placed on the Hot shoe...
<Anyone experienced similar problems?>

thanks in advance

Narmer

Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2006, 3:11 PM   #2

is there anybody out there ?
Old Jun 27, 2006, 3:22 PM   #3

I heard your questions, but I found no answers..
I remember something like:
The camera synchronizes with 1/60 in many mode, but you can synchronize upto around 1/200 in manual mode. But I never heard anything about EV.
Genece is back, he knows everything ;-)

Did you test your external flash without your camera? Test the cable first. Any kind of metal between the two connectors should trigger the flash. Try the same trick with your external connector. Please use an isolated piece of metal. Modern flashes should trigger with less than 24V, but you never know......

Sometimes there is a small switch for the external connection of the flash.

cheers Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 3:31 PM   #4

You know that when I read this thread .....I was sure I knew the answer.

So I grabbed the flash and the FZ20 ( to be sure) and low and behold ...I could not change the shutterspeed with the exposure comp.

Well I knew I did this many times on the FZ30 so I tried it....I can not change the shutterspeed on it with the exposure comp either..

When something strikes me I pick up the camera and try it again......no luck.

It must be a setting somewhere as I was always able to do that.....but I will be darned if I can figure it out at this time.

It must be a setting on the flash...but my mind is blank now.

Hopefully someone will help us both.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 4:54 PM   #5

Thanks Genece

I would nearly swear to have seen different speeds 1/80 sec with that flash and others, in non M modes...
Yes it must be some setting...

Sven
About that thing it's the first thing I have done and it fired, so no problem with the cable.
I must try bringing to the shop my FZ20 and another flash with syncro, then seeing if it works...
if not it is a problem with the Hotshoe adaptor...
Old Jun 28, 2006, 6:08 AM   #6

Narmer wrote:
Quote:
My new flash is a Holgon 280 PC Auto with twistable head (GN 28 @ iso 100).
Light duration in AUTO, 1/1.000 sec.
Light duration in Manual, 1/1.000-1/20.000

1)Both in preset and in Manual, it is impossible to use the EV compensation.
If I have the ext. flash on the hot shoe, and for example I am in A-mode, I meter 1/60 sec at F/8, when I set the EV to -1 or -2, it remains to 1/60...
Only in M-mode I can change both parameters. I image this is normal and doesn't depend on the flash type.

2) More important: flash syncro cable (the small type one, notTTL):
Iconnect the external flash to the FZ20 via a small adaptor fixed on the hotshoe, then I connected both with the syncro cable (which surely works as the adaptor does, for I tried different ones) but the flash won't fire by this way, only when directly placed on the Hot shoe...
<Anyone experienced similar problems?>

thanks in advance

Narmer

I am not so sure abt the EV compensation thing, as I have not used it. For the Fz10, M mode allows you to adust all parameters. In A mode, shutter is fixed at 1/60s. So if lighting is ok to allow me to see the EVF in M mode, I use M mode. If its too dark, I use A mode, and live with the 1/60s speed.

Can't advice on Q2 though.... are you able to post your setup?

tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 6:16 AM   #7

Don't know why but it seems to work now. In P i can go from 1/400 @ F/2.8 to 1/60 # F/8 moving the EV from -2 to + 2 stops.

I am going out to try more hot shoes adapters to use the syncro cables.

Do you know if there are adapters with two outputs, to fire two external flashes ?

Why are the non TTL synchro always so short ?
Old Jun 28, 2006, 7:46 AM   #8

Narmer...What did you do that it started working?

I am truely lost.....I know the camera has the ability to do that but I can not get it to work anymore.

I keep feeling it has something to do with the Icon in the upper left corner of the viewfinder but I have tried everything I can think of.

I have never seen one to fire 2 flashes...but its my guess you could get parts to make a Y cable to get the length and 2 terminals with very little trouble.

Radio shack should have the parts needed.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:35 PM   #9

Genece

about EV, I think that I switched the cam with EV compensation to 0 (and maybe Ext Flash "preset" in the Menu mode = Menu + Up direction pad).
But I am not so sure anymore that there was a problem. Indoor you'll always get 1/60 even with -2 EV; only if you point towards a window it will go down to 1/250, 1/400.... in P Mode. So maybe I was only metering too dark things....

I have bought an adaptor to accept a syncro wire, and now I can position my ext flash aside or in front of the lens. Yest they said they have the adaptor with 2 or 3 outputs for syncro cables, but I did not take it. This would be only for studio things and I prefer one flash only.

The best use of my main ext flash seems to be with A mode, F/8 and 1/60 (or eventually focussing in Macro mode, locking focusand shooting in M with F/8 and faster speeds) and experimenting with the distance of the flash.
The latter is kept at its shorterblow duration (1/20.000 sec) and the light diffused by a small white bristle paper held on the upper and lower part of the flash head positioned upwards -like a U.
But I must experiment with Tchuanye's recently posted rippled paper and with bouncing the ext flash on hot shoe.

Soon I ll go out to experiment with macros.

FR
Old Jun 28, 2006, 6:18 PM   #10

Nope ..I use to be able to control the SS with the EVwhen using the flash, but not anymore.