Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:29 PM   #1

Got my new DCR 150 today. This is my attempts at taking a wildflower. Not sure yet how to ajust the FZ30 lens and/or to use regular focus or macro focus. Don't know the proper name of this one.

bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:00 AM   #2

Jerry - I really like that third shot! That is some wild looking stuff in that little flower.

Focus is tough with these lenses, for sure. I don't think you should be using the macro focus setting though, as the camera should really be at full zoom. I find I can actually go down to about 6x zoom before I start seeing vignetting. I know many will recommend manual focus mode, but for me so far auto focus seems to work best. I generally do a half-press of the shutter, let it focus on my target, then move the camera towards or away from the subject to get the part I want in focus. I still hit the mark only about half the time.

Who knows, I might get better results if I switch to manual focus, but I'm working with what's easiest for me to start with. I'm sure everyone has their own techniques. We just have to find what works best for us I guess.

Congrats on the DCR-150. I think you'll find it opens up a whole new world of photo opportunities. Go take some pics!
RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:56 AM   #3

RedStickMan, thanks for viewing and for the suggestions. I will try those on my next outing.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:43 PM   #4

#2 and 3 look pretty good. #1 is out of focus. Try A priority and f11 (if the amount of light will allow)to get the greatest dof.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:15 AM   #5

Ok.... I've done some thinking and experimenting with my focusing technique with the macro lenses and I've changed my tune on using manual focus.

The key for me was turning off the MF Assist feature. Now I find it easiest to use MF, get it as good as I can with the focus ring, then pull back or push forward a bit to get the focus on the area I want. Shutter release is faster this way, too.

Still have lots of practice and learning to do to get anywhere close to the level of work some others here achieve, but these lenses sure are fun!

Looking forward to seeing more macros from you, Jerry.
RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote