Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 28, 2006, 7:58 PM   #1

hi guys

i`m a bit new to camera`s this is my first digi (fz30)

i just want to know about shutter speed. when i`m on a fast shutter speed and i press the button half way the screen go`s black and so it then take`s a very dark picture jet black in a fully lit room.

any help from you guys as i`m just a beginner , dont know the camera language

thank`s in advance
nickdundeeuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:57 PM   #2

Guess, my question would be, Why would you use a very fast shutter speed in a fully lighted room. I am no expert on this, but I think you would want to use the "A" mode or "P" mode. In the "P" everything would be set for you. And, I believe there would still be occasions for using the flash. Of course, you did not mention what shutter speed setting you were using. If using a very fast shutter speed, you would need almost bright sunlight in my mind, and a small aperture setting.

There are many more experienced people on the forum who can answer your question, but from what information you have given, I don't think there is anything wrong with the camera. Mine does the same as you describe under the conditions you prescribed.

Jerry

P. S. there are some others who can give you a better explanation.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:16 PM   #3

i was trying to take pics off the cat , but there blurry when the cat moves. thats when im in auto mode , thats why i was try itinshutter mode
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:40 PM   #4

I may be wrong, but I don't think you will be able to take action shots very much in artificial light indoors. If you put your camera in shutter mode and rotate the rear thumbwheel, you will see that you will get down to a very slow shutter speed of less than 1/200 before you really start seeing anything and then the exposure values will still be way off.

As I said, there others better able to explain than I can, but I do know that it is a function of aperture (F-stop) versus shutter speed for a given light condition. The best lighting I know of for action shots is sunlight.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:06 PM   #5

thanks for the reply
Old Jun 29, 2006, 1:59 AM   #6

Nick-

Jerry (BayouRebel) pretty much has it nailed. Indoor, even in a well lit room, the FZ models will probably need flash - especially for freezing movement. Depending on the distances to the subject, you may need to adjust the flash setting.

The FZ models are light hogs. They're capable of good indoor shots but require a bit of experience and technique to get there. Learn your FZ30 outdoors in the good light first. Indoors, anticipate using the flash unless you're setting up on a tripod and staging the image.
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote