Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 29, 2006, 7:15 PM   #1

I finally have a decent tripod. ball head and remote shutter for my new FZ20 and am going to the city fireworks displayJuly 4thwith great expectations. So I don't completely screw it up, I wanted to ask your opinion about settings.

Would I be better off using the Fireworks scene modeor shoot in manual with what settings? Also:What is the best focusing method, manual, with focus lock on a far subject, autousing 3 point focus and multi metering, or what?

I ask the same questions of you before going to my granddaughters ballet and using settings suggested on this forum, it turned out great.

Thanks, Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2006, 9:12 PM   #2

i had some decent results last year with my FZ20 at a community display. try these settings in manual mode... set your shutter for 2 seconds, aperture at f8, ISO 80-100. manual focus on a spot about as far away as you expect the fireworks to be, and set the focus at that point. keep your zoom at no more than 3-5x, since fireworks take up a lot of sky.

here's a sample shot using those settings...

Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:47 AM   #3

Thanks Squirl, I'll use those settings. Your sample looks great! Is there a way to set and lock the focus before dark and have it stay locked at that distance all night? I know the folks setting up the fireworks and they can tell me where they should be going off.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 2:02 AM   #4

if you set the camera to manual focus, and leave it there, it will stay where you put it but only as long as the camera's on. if it goes to 'sleep' or gets turned off, you'll have to refocus it when it comes back on.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 2:50 PM   #5

I used almost exactly what Squirrel used for this fireworks shot. the only difference is a 3 second exposure. I expect to see a lot of fireworks images after Canada, July 1 and the 4th of July in the States.
Attached Images

Narcis Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote