Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 17, 2003, 9:57 AM   #11
RBW

Default Re: Panasonic FZ1 for sports/action?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
Does anybody have any experiences using the FZ1 for action like sports? How does it compare with the Olympus C-2100?

The 12x optical zoom and image stabilization has me intrigued but I'm a little put off by the review which says the viewfinder image "freezes" while it saves a pic and it uses substandard batteries.
I have used the FZ1 for a few weeks now and its great for sports. I am also pretty impressed by the battery life. I have never seen anywhere that the batteries are substandard.
RBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 2:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Elson
Yes lg, in fine mode it can take 4 shots in a second before it dumps to the card. In normal mode it can shoot 7 shots in a second. These burst rates can be very useful when shooting sports pictures. Or wild life for that matter. :lol:

David
I thought it's still 4 fps but it can take 7 shots. Isn't that correct?
Trdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 11:24 PM   #13
lg

What is the highest resolution that it will take pictures at a rate of 4 fps? If it's 1600x1200, that's fast. If it's at a lower resolution, I'd like to know. For example, I can fill up a SmartMedia card with pics at 2fps on my camera if I set it to 640x480 resolution. Thanks!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2003, 3:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg
What is the highest resolution that it will take pictures at a rate of 4 fps? If it's 1600x1200, that's fast. If it's at a lower resolution, I'd like to know. For example, I can fill up a SmartMedia card with pics at 2fps on my camera if I set it to 640x480 resolution. Thanks!
FZ1 will do 1600 X 1200 res at highest quality setting in 4fps High speed burst mode as long as shutter speed is 1/60s or higher.
leepfrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2003, 4:05 PM   #15
lg

Thanks for the info!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 10:49 AM   #16

Here's a usless bit of info for you chaps BTW.
The shutter speed is faster in "Panning" mode than in "Sports" mode
DV enable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 11:08 AM   #17

Haven't used "Panning" mode but doesn't seem appropriate that that should have a faster shutter speed than "Sports". I understand "Panning" mode removes image stabilisation in the horizontal mode (that makes sense).

Certainly I do know that "Portrait" mode gives a faster shutter speed than "Sports" very often so maybe this would be the best choice if you want to freeze fast moving subjects. On the other hand, if camera shake is your worry, the "Sports" mode may be better since, according to someone at dpreview, the image stabilisation is optimised to work at somewhere round 1/125 second which "Sports" mode favours.

It's all a bit of a black art to me.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 12:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by leepfrawg
FZ1 will do 1600 X 1200 res at highest quality setting in 4fps High speed burst mode as long as shutter speed is 1/60s or higher.
That's right! 4fps at maximum resolution. I guess it's one of the fastest among consumer level digicams?

I find that's useful to me because my first pics would tend to blur sometimes due to the shutter press. Burst mode would give me at least 2 acceptable pics to choose from.
KW2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 8:35 AM   #19

Panning mode really has incredibly fast speeds for this technique. I expected it to have really long shutter times, so I really don't get that... Is it possibly, that's a bug?! And where can we get real official technical stuff about every of the modes?
Trdi is offline   Reply With Quote