Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 9, 2003, 2:12 AM   #1

Default Panasonic FZ1 for sports/action?

Does anybody have any experiences using the FZ1 for action like sports? How does it compare with the Olympus C-2100?

The 12x optical zoom and image stabilization has me intrigued but I'm a little put off by the review which says the viewfinder image "freezes" while it saves a pic and it uses substandard batteries.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2003, 2:26 AM   #2

Check out this link from the dpreview "other digicams" forum:
http://www.pbase.com/knum/softball_w_fz1
click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2003, 11:24 PM   #3
lg

I haven't used the FZ-1, but you need to know this lacks the manual controls and shutter and aperture priority you may need for good action shots-- it's basically a fully automatic unit. The C-2100 works great for action shots, and you can take 5 or more frames at almost 2fps before the camera must stop to write the pics to disk.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2003, 5:30 AM   #4

The FZ1 is great for sport.
If set at the sports setting it will fire at the highest speed suitable for the light conditions. It can also shoot 4 to 7 shots per second before it needs to write to memory , depending wether it is set to fine or standard quality. And the quality of the lens is great. At the moment there is nothing on the market to match it.
David Elson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2003, 10:13 PM   #5
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Elson
...It can also shoot 4 to 7 shots per second before it needs to write to memory...
"per second?"
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2003, 5:31 AM   #6

Yes lg, in fine mode it can take 4 shots in a second before it dumps to the card. In normal mode it can shoot 7 shots in a second. These burst rates can be very useful when shooting sports pictures. Or wild life for that matter. :lol:

David
David Elson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 5:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg
I haven't used the FZ-1, but you need to know this lacks the manual controls and shutter and aperture priority you may need for good action shots-- it's basically a fully automatic unit.
Lack of manual control of shutter and aperture is an overblown criticism. The FZ-1 has auto-exposure lock which gives you some control over aperture and shutter if you know how to use it. After you pre-focus, you can use the AE lock (half-press of shutter button) to select and lock the aperture/shutter settings you want by pointing the camera at brighter or darker areas of light. This is not as precise as direct manual controls, but it's certainly workable.
leepfrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 6:16 AM   #8

An earlier comment of yours leepfrawg directed me to the dpreview other digicams forum t'other day. Wonder if anyone here has earlier recommended the link below (might be slow to load for some) which has a page of shots of aeroplanes at airshow. Not sure if is generally regarded as a challenging subject, but I was certainly impressed :

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5412375
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 7:10 AM   #9

I don't think anyone's posted that link here. But it should eliminate any doubt as to whether the FZ-1 can handle action photography.
leepfrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 9:07 AM   #10

Brandon I have used my fz1 very successfully for taking shots of baseball games. The zoom is excellent and the burst modes work really well capturing a pitcher or batters motion. I have alot of great shots of the ball jumping from the bat using burst mode. The last thing I needed in a camera was manual settings because I know nothing about photography. I will say this camera has really got me intersted in photography though and maybe when I win the lottery I will get that SLR.
Rollz is offline   Reply With Quote