Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:36 PM   #1

i was out with my new fz7 today and i got what i thought was a nice picture of a dog in the water. when i got it home, it seems very noisy, and noiseware doesnt seem to do a lot to improve it. any suggestions? if this is the case then i think i might get rid of the FZ7
Attached Images

schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2006, 8:26 PM   #2

Yes very noisy indeed. This is a problem with most consumer digital cams when the light is low. It happens with my FZ30 and my Olympus Stylus.

It seems like it was late afternoon or early night, when you took that picture. If that's the case, a smaller f number and a lower shutter speed would help.
And besides the noise, it looks like it's a bit out of focus.
jotajota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:02 PM   #3

hard to tell from the small image. you took the shot at 1/800 and f4.5, with ISO set at 80, which tends to tell me lighting was not a problem. it looks almost like the NR software got overly aggressive, which can cause other problems. do you have the original unedited version available to post, without noise reduction?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 4:42 AM   #4

it was taken in the evening , this is true, but the lighting didnt seem to be too dark, seemed to be quite nice actually. i was taking quite a high shutter speed to capture the dog as he was a quick mover. the original image is attached to this post.its not cropped as much either, i just cropped it enough to make it small enough in size to upload
Attached Images

Old Jul 1, 2006, 4:58 AM   #5

i didnt have the noise reduction on the camera turned on. i heard it gets rid of a lot of detail. should i turn on the in camera noise reduction
Old Jul 1, 2006, 5:13 AM   #6

Looks much better without the noise reduction. What noiseware were you using ??

Also, I must insist in the lighting issue. Sometimes it looks like there is enough light, but looks can be deceiving.
Your ISO should've been 100, and a smaller aperture. Also, shutter speed of 1/250 would have been fine to capture the moment.

Old Jul 1, 2006, 7:15 AM   #7

im using the noiseware professional plugin for photoshop . i had the noise reduction in the camera set to low. il keep it that way. i assumed that a faster shutter would capture a the shot of the shaking dog a lot sharper than a slower shutter speed. thats why i used such a fast speed
Old Jul 2, 2006, 1:51 AM   #8

I usually leave noise reduction enabled on my FZ30. I believe it's the same algorithm used on all FZ's. I don't really see any loss of detail.
In evening light I usually switch it to ISO 100, and in daylight I leave it a 50.
If more light is need it, I use an external flash to fill in, and never go higher than ISO100 because of the extra noise.
Like I said, this is something that you'll find in all consumer digital cameras.
If you're looking for very little noise or almost no noise at all, then you need an DSLR.