Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 1, 2006, 2:53 PM   #1

I'm new to the whole macro thing, so go easy on me. Here's a small spider I saw eating it's breakfast this morning.

FZ7, F8, +5 diop. and cropped no PP

vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2006, 6:14 PM   #2

I like it! The spider looks as though he's none too happy with you for interrupting his breakfast though.

I'm having trouble finding good subjects around here lately. You caught a cool moment with good subjects.Nice focus too.

Only complaint is it looks a little dark on my monitor. Looks like the lighting may have been a little difficult to work with. Are you using any fill flash? You can always lighten it up in PP.

RedStickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 6:57 PM   #3

It's been real hot here all week so the only things I have really seen to shoot are a few spiders and flies. They are hiding most of the day and only come out in the morning or evening so lighting is definitely an issue. I don't have an external flash and the DCR-5320 blocks the onboard flash. I went back out and took some more shots of the same spider. This time I used a DCR-250 and a fluorescent work light to get a little better lighting.

Just cropped and rotated 180*.

It still has some fly blood around it's mouth.

Old Jul 1, 2006, 9:34 PM   #4

Very nice photo. As for it being hot, as Redstickman noted, it is hard to find something to get a photo of. Even the insects are looking for A/C along with us, just they are more discreet.

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2006, 11:50 PM   #5

Thanks for the comments!

I actually caught sight of another jumping spider this afternoon. This one wasn't as cooperative. I chased it all over trying to get a picture. Every time I would get the camera in position and get it in focus it would run off before I could release the shutter. I was finally able to snap these two pics before it jumped away.

These were taken with the DCR-5320 +5. I wasn't able to use the work light because the spider was running around so much.

Old Jul 2, 2006, 8:09 AM   #6

Neat shots. I hadn't heard of the DCR-5320 before. Apparently it's a combination of two closeup lens; +2 and +3 diopter and 72mm in diameter. That's a pretty big lens! How does it compare to the dcr250?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 5:06 PM   #7

All very nice, pretty good focus.

If you have problems with flash try to bounce it from the on board flash to the subject by a white paper card that you'll hold with some fingers of your left hand (with the other fingers you ll hold the camera optics/DCR)

Narmer
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 5:06 PM   #8

All very nice, pretty good focus.

If you have problems with flash try to bounce it from the on board flash to the subject by a white paper card that you'll hold with some fingers of your left hand (with the other fingers you ll hold the camera optics/DCR)

Narmer
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 5:51 PM   #9

fmoore - I'm really just a newbie to this but I find the DCR-5320 a little easier to work with than the DCR-250 and DCR-150. It seems like I don't have to spend as much time searching for the "sweet spot" to focus it. The lenses are massive though. The stacked lenses are almost as long as the DCR-1540 teleconverter, and they are heavier. They are expensive too, about $250 compared to less than $100 for the CM-2000 (DCR_150 and DCR-250)

The FZ7 with DCR-5320 attached.

Narmer - Thanks for the comments, I'll have to try that with the card. I'm actually considering building an LED ring light, if I can remember anything from my 7th grade electronics class.
Old Jul 2, 2006, 7:09 PM   #10

What is the best source for one of these? I love bugs, and those spider pics are super. It also might help when I try to get pix of tiny alpine tundra plants.

bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote