Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:16 AM   #1

if you had a film camera before post processing on the computer was mainstream, and you wanted a shallow dof, you would have to have set a high zoom and a small apature size maby, but you can do this now on photoshop in seconds, so my question is should a digital photographer just aim for the sharpest photo they can get and apply any dof effects or bluring or other such effects after, or should we still strive for that perfect shot straight from the camera ( that doesnt exist!)
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2006, 4:30 AM   #2

i think you should do the best you can when the shot is taken. PP is a pain especially when you are trying to select around an intricate subject and trying to blur the background without making it look fake

I just shot at f 3.6 for most of my shots and if i feel i need a more shallow dof look then yea i may lasso the backing, feather it and maybe apply a bit of lens bluring or gaussian.

What i aim for wheni take shots is good sharp focus. I think this is crucial. THen probably good exposure. I usually aim for +1/3ev. I just find it easier to back an image up then push an image up. Its just my personal little thing. And it seems to work for me.

White balancing isnt too much of an issue as ps can fix most things.

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 7:30 AM   #3

I''m with Ken on this - I'd rather take the shot exactly how I see it. Much better to compose the shot exactly how you want in camera and then use Pshop or the like if you have to. My own settings are to set saturation, sharpness and cobntrast to low and then make any adjustements in Photoshop.

Here's a shot taken yesterday of Bailey the Eagle Owl. Just minor USM and fixing the WB (the FZ10's WB can drive you nuts) and a wee bit of brightening and thats it.

Cheers

HarjTT

:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:24 AM   #4

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I''m with Ken on this - I'd rather take the shot excatly. Much better to compose the shot exactly how you want in camera and then use Pshop or the like if you have to. My own settings are to set saturation, sharpness and cobntrast to low and then make any adjustements in Photoshop.

Here's a shot taken yesterday of Bailey the Eagle Owl. Just minor USM and fixing the WB (the FZ10's WB can drive you nuts) and a wee bit of brightening and thats it.

Cheers

HarjTT

:|

wow

thats a great shot

so you shoot with everything on low, thts interesting. I shot with everything set to normal. I will give your technique a go.

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 3:25 PM   #5

HarjTT: you're right about FZ 10 WB. I just got back from a hike and half of my photos have some strange yellow tint all over what should begreen grass. Does any WB settings help or do you fix this in PS?
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:34 PM   #6

Hi G

Regards WB on the FZ10 I just find myself having to correct it 90% of the time in Photoshop and if I can't fix it I'll see if I can rescue the shot by converting to B&W. I get the same green/yellow tint on the shots and it gets a lot worse if theres lots of green (ile trees, grass, etc) in the shot. Sometimes taking a manual WB reading works - I've started to carry a white card now or look for anything white that I can take a setting on and it worked really well on the Cutty Sark but if the WB is on AUto or the other settings I know i have to fix it.

Cheers

HarjTT

:?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote