Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:08 AM   #1

I have an FZ5. I'm a newby, having gotten the camera for Christmas. I really like it. It is fun. I have taken some great shots with it. One thing that drives me nuts is that when i hold the camera in the vertical position and take a pic - that when i view that pic on my PC via Windows Explorer - I always have to rotate the pic one click clockwise to get it to the correct orientation for viewing. Is there some kind of setting that i can adjust so that i do not have to do this with every single pic that i take while holding the camera in the vertical position?

Thanks a bunch.

dwelsh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2006, 12:33 PM   #2

Not sure about Windows Explorer but many freeviewers including irfanviewwill auto rotate images if that info is available in the image exif data as it is with the fz5. Go to Options/Properties/JPG and select auto rotate. Both thumbnails and full size images will be auto rotated.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 3:16 PM   #3

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Not sure about Windows Explorer but many freeviewers including irfanviewwill auto rotate images if that info is available in the image exif data as it is with the fz5. Go to Options/Properties/JPG and select auto rotate. Both thumbnails and full size images will be auto rotated.

So, i don't need to do anything with the camera - just use the Irfanview viewer and do the things you mentioned (Options/Properties/JPG and select auto rotate) above to the Infanview viewer? Thanks a bunch.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:39 PM   #4

dwelsh7 wrote:
Quote:
fmoore wrote:
Quote:

So, i don't need to do anything with the camera - just use the Irfanview viewer and do the things you mentioned (Options/Properties/JPG and select auto rotate) above to the Infanview viewer? Thanks a bunch.
Correct. The fz5 includes camera orientation in the exif data which is then read by the viewer. You can't tell the fz5 to do otherwise.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:20 PM   #5

Very cool. Thank you fmoore!
Old Jul 5, 2006, 12:46 AM   #6

dl'd the viewer. the pics look hugh! i have to zoom out several times to get it 'normal' size. Help please. Thanks.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 7:57 AM   #7

Options/Properties/Viewing/Full Screen
Old Jul 5, 2006, 8:43 AM   #8

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Options/Properties/Viewing/Full Screen

i still don't get it. i followed the above. When i got to "Viewing" it was a seperate tab. It had many choices that i can check. Then, "Full Screen" was a seperate tab also. It to had many choices. I do not know what to select on these two pages. So, if you can provide further direction, i'd be thankful!
Old Jul 5, 2006, 1:06 PM   #9

Sorry, the latest version is different. Options/Properties/Full Screen and click the second (recommended) circle. Thismay still be a bit large in the vertical direction. You can toggle in and out of full screen with the Enter key.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:44 AM   #10

it was already set as you described. Currently the only way that i know how to be able to view the photos normal size is to continue to hit the zoom out button at the top of the page (it takes seven clicks before i can seeall of the image). Not real handy (yet!). Got any more ideas?