Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:56 AM   #11

wow!
A new achromat is born!
At least we could demonstrate that we can shoot macros still if we are left on a deserted island with nothing more than a FZ, a spyglass and a charger.

The coin is not in the exact focal plane. I am looking forward to more results!
I like the direct mounting to the cokin adapter, this lens can be attached to any camera now.

Could you please tell us the focal length Seedubs. It is the distance between the lens and the small hole burnt into your table by the image of the sun.

Please don't sell the 6T ;-)

Sven
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 7:01 AM   #12

Very dangerous what you started up here, Sven.

It seems we are going to disassemble everything at home which contains a lens...
Narmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 8:46 AM   #13

If I understand you correctly then the focal length is around 165mm, does that sound right? Also yes the lenses were extracted (they unscrewed with a little help) from the binos below, which I won in a raffle in Germany about 15 years ago:

I will try and post some more examples with the homemade lense later when the sun shines! Many thanks for the encouragement, and yes it is as sharp as the 6T although with a lot less DOF.

Also I am a little unsure about what you mean when you say " paint the sides black and make some tests with vignettes of ring shape. This additional aperture will improve the results and perhaps even DOF" so you mean use a vignette to reduce the amount of the lense exposed to light and this may give me greater DOF?

Many thanks

Seedubs
Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:16 AM   #14

Seedubs,
165mm = +6 diopters lens.
You don't have to make any changes, the lens is sharp enough (better than my lens).
DOF is small, but this lens can be compared to the raynox dcr250!
But it is not vignetting so early.

Francesco,
these lenses are made for working and most af them are just lying around in the last years. In times when Nikon thinks, there are enough achromats in this world, we have to act!
Sven

Old Jul 6, 2006, 10:40 AM   #15

seedbubs, can you post more pics of how you managed to fit the lens into your cokin filter holder so well? a DIY manual if you will . it looks really professional
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:11 AM   #16

Ah the fitting.....................well it may look well fitting but actually it is a little flimsy, it is simply held in place with some electricians take around the edge and onto the cokin holder, I am a little worried that it may just drop out. Fortunately the lense is 53mm so it just sits in the 55mm cokin holder, I will attempt to secure it more professionally later, although I still need to use the cokin holder for my ND Grad filter.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 1:19 PM   #17

Finally got a little light to get out in the garden, so got a couple of examples with the homemade lense, these are not cropped, just saved for web and sharpened:

I think this was around x 7 zoom.

And I think this one was either x 10 or x 12, sorry couldnt remember, I had been waiting by the flower for about 30 mins for something to land on it!!

Old Jul 7, 2006, 1:35 PM   #18

Excellent results with the: Seedubs Mcon 16!
Did you see the structure of the eye in the original picture?
Sven

Old Jul 7, 2006, 1:38 PM   #19

Yes on a crop the eye structure was visible, although not like some, more subtle on these Hoverflies.

Thanks for the comments, I am rather pleased with it!
Old Jul 7, 2006, 2:39 PM   #20

Here is the necessary currency test.
Compatitors:

Olympus A life size achromat, very expensive, hard to find, 7,7 diopters, 3 lenses
against
Seemolf Mcon 16 - Revue spyglass nearly lost and forgotten, 6 diopters, 2 lenses

The Olympus lens is stronger, it was used at 8* zoom
The Revue lens was used at full zoom

No postprocessing!, lower half 100% crop,

The big question - which is which?????

One thing is for sure, this German guy stating that achromats are too expensive is on the right track!

Sven

Please try to find the Olympus lens!!