Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 5, 2006, 3:14 AM   #11

Norm, according to two stores i;vce spoken to last week, the L1 will hit the stores in the UK at the end of July, just after the Japan launch.

HarjTT

:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 9:44 AM   #12

Looks like it will be September before it hits the shelves in the U.S. according to several of the larger outlets.

KennJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 6:55 AM   #13

A French website DG has said that the FZ30 will be replaced by the FZ50 in September, and an announcement about the new camera is supposed to come out on July 17. The quote from a Panasonic service rep was the FZ30 had become "a victim of itsown success." If all this is true, I would expect similar announcements to appear on all Panasonic websites around the world. On the dpreview DG, claims were made that the FZ50 has significant improvements in noise reduction. From what many have said, this is a problem forsome who have purchasedthe FZ30. We'll see.....
Baker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 8:39 AM   #14

I'd be suprised if Pana named the successor to the '30 the FZ50 as it just doesn't make sense and neither does a Sept 2005 release. I'd rather they had developed an improved larger sensor to the 1/1.8" and may be drop it to 6-7MP than simply improve the NR algorithims that they're currently using. Regards the 1/1.8" sensor, it was orginially introduced in 2001 and that the optimum no of pixels for it was 3-4MP and cameras (certain Canon P&S's) using that combination were able to produce images that were nearly as noise free as most DSLR.

From what I've seen of some high ISO Venus III shots it seems to loose detail to reduce the noise which in my opinion isn't what they should be doing. Lets hope they tweak it to retain detail than loose it and match it to a less noisy larger sensor. My only concern for any FZ40 would be Pana crippling the cam in someway so that it wouldn;t compete against its L1.

We'll have to wait and see what happens but my predictions for the comign year are:

1. FZ40 - hopefully a new slightly larger sensor at 8MP but with a slightly shorter lens 35-350mm, Venus III and some other improvements - can't be many as the '30 was pretty spot on.
2. LX2 - thats a given as the LX1 is no longer available.
3. DMC L1
4. An entry range DSLR sometime after the L1's release and that possibly would be the EVIL cam which would fit in between the L1 and FZ40.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote