Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 4, 2006, 8:46 AM   #1

When I mailed Swedens leading digicamreseller on the net and asking why they have taken away the FZ30 from their list of active products, they responded by saying that the camera is out of stock and is not made anymore.

They had not heard anything about a replacement and recommended me the FZ7.

Has anyone else heard something similar?

//daniell

daniell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2006, 9:44 AM   #2

Daniell

Its not been offically announced but its been known for teh last month or so that the FZ30 and also the LX1 have been discontinued. What you see in the stores and online are just whats left in the retail channel. If you can wait I think we should see an FZ40 by the end of the month or early August which is when Pana always release the big FZ's.

Regrads he FZ40's spec its anybody's guess - some have even speculated that the FZ40 could even been an "EVIL' - EVF + interchangeable lens based camera to slot in just below the L1 and allow an upgrade path to the L1 or its successor in a couple of years from now. One thing to remember is that all of the FZ/FX/ and other small cameras from Panasonic have all been on a yearly upgrade cycle unlike the LC1 which was on a 2 year period and I'm assuming the L1 will also follow this path.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:43 AM   #3

IMHO

While it may be discontinued, Panasonic USA still lists a shipping date for the FZ30....it may be a shortage of supply or it may well be discontinued.

However ,You were able to purchase a new FZ20 long after the FZ30 was announced and I see no reason why that would not hold true for the FZ30, even if there is a upcoming new model.

I think retailers get tired of a lack of supply and just drop the line.

I also think Panasonic needs to understand that point.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:08 PM   #4

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{BIG SIGH}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I see this as a ploy to drive the prices back up.:sad: Which will put mypurchase off to the middle of next month. I have been saying"next month" since January. ARGH!!!!!!!!!

Still.........

Regards

Bev
Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:21 PM   #5

Maw-

IPSO = Indecision Paralysis Stops One; ...happens to all of us... The bigger question is whether there is a current digi that will afford us the majority of our imaging needs and allow for photos to be taken/enjoyed now...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 12:30 PM   #6

From what I've read the way Panasonic manufactures the cams is that they make a set number all in one hit, so in the case of the D-Lux2 Leica put in an order of say 20,000 for the year and Panasonic made 20k for them and these were then all sold within a couple of months and thats why there are no more available. The same applied to the LX-1 and the LC1/DLUX2, so I'm assuming the FZ30 was manufactured along the same lines.

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 4:29 PM   #7

B&H is still listing them in stock at under 500$ american for anyone interested in purchasing one before they go or go up .
Digital Cameras, Camcorders, TV's, Home Theater, DVD Players, Apple iPods
KennJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 7:00 PM   #8

Beach Camera still has the silver listed for $464.00.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 7:24 PM   #9

Panasonics first DSLR will hit the streets in Japan later this month and be in Europe by September - perhaps the FZ30 will not be replaced by a similar style cam at ll and instead, the DSLR will fill that gap
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 3:12 AM   #10

Telecorder,

Not a matter of indecision, but purely economics. But my patience WILL pay off and I will be putting everything I've learned here to good use SOON...

Cheers,

Bev

Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote