Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 5, 2006, 4:05 PM   #1

Recently, the members of rangfinderforum.com used a service called lulu.com to publish a bound hardcovercollection of theirbest work.

This is a downloadable sample of the bookin pdf format: http://www.lulu.com/items/volume_1/1...ok_preview.pdf

Reviews, description: http://www.lulu.com/content/110604

About the "lulu" service: http://www.lulu.com/

"Ahem"... pretty neat idear, huh?

NickTrop_redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2006, 5:13 PM   #2

Thanks for tipnick. I've been working with a group putting together a book on the history of Pennypack Park in NE Philly and this looks very inviting. No setup fees! A nicely bound 200 page 8.5x11 paperback in b&w is just $8.54 for a single copy and only $5.53 per copy in lots of 1000. Sounds pretty good to me. How is the quality of the b&w prints in the rangefinder book?
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 6:38 PM   #3

Hi Nick

Hey thanks for posting that and thats a seriously nice idea! Kind of reminds me of your idea when I was just a noob of getting an online gallery of the best FZ shots posted here.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :|

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:20 PM   #4

Hi Fred, Hi HarjTT...

Hey Fred, glad to point it out. No set-up fees is nice.

HarjTT - yeah, my bad. Lots of idears, not a lot of time.

I thought it was a pretty neat idea. There are LOTS of great photos here, especially macro and nature shots, but also general photography.

Anyway, saw this... thought I might throw it out there in the event anyone is interested.

Nick
Old Jul 6, 2006, 4:12 AM   #5

Nick,

Great idea but how can anyone pick out the best pictures from those published on this forum.

Just look at today's macros, Squirl's Bubble, Ladyhawks Smithsonian pictures, HartjTT's Leeds Castle photos just to mention a few. The standard is so high, I would want to print the lot!

BUt if there were such a book, I would be in line for a copy!

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 5:36 AM   #6

Hi Nick

I still think its a fab idea to do something similar to what you suggested - theres been a few POTD's taken by some of the guys and gals here and your B&W shots from the FZ1 were always stunning.

Cheers

Harj

:O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:48 AM   #7

I agree many of the photographers here are amazing, just like the range finder forum. Truly, the best of the best are worthy of publication. How to choose? A poll perhaps? It would be tough.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:16 PM   #8

Nick - Have you seen an actual copy of the book? How about photo quality? One of the reviewershas some qc issues:
"An impressive first book, let down by a paperback binding, below-average printing, and paper stock too light for a fine-art project such as this. Lulu, you need to offer higher quality production and finishing."
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 1:33 PM   #9

I can't say that I have, Fred. I've only seen the pdf. However, "photo books" are a breed unto themselves and black and white photo books suffer from the same color casting as injets.

Without having seen it, I would speculate it's probably of "average" hardcover quality but not photo art-book quality, and that the criticisms are based on holding a vannity publisher to too high a standard.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 3:07 AM   #10

Heya, Nick! long time no see you around the forum! keepin busy an' out of mischief, i trust? come up with any good recipes or ideas for millinery lately? :lol:

i've been kinda splitting my time between here and some of the other boards, especially since i got my Canon 30D about 3 months ago. but i still drag out the ol' FZ20 now and then when i don't want to carry The Beast, or when i just want something along "just in case". especially for sunsets and low-light work, the FZ is still a very good choice...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote