Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:21 AM   #1

Since there were a few threads recently about old 35mm cameras, I thought I might post a couple samples of why I like them so much. These were taken last weekend. Nothing "artistic", just some routine family snaps. And, not to make excuses, but the prints look MUCH better than the photo cdr from the lab, but these are just for the purpose of illustration.

You can't really take pictures like this with most modern cameras. The subjects were, for the most part, unaware they were on candid camera. These were all taken at night in regular room light, no flash was used. These were taken with a Yashica GSN rangefinder loaded with Fuji 1600 speed film. The Fuji "4th color layer" isn't hype. It does a nice job keeping color cast reasonable. Shutter speed either 1/60 or 1/30 (guessing), and aperture was wide open, at f 1.7, I'm sure.

Attached Images

NickTrop_redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:24 AM   #2

-
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:24 AM   #3

-
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:25 AM   #4

-
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:26 AM   #5

-
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:30 AM   #6

-
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2006, 3:25 AM   #7

thanks Nick,

I like these postings showingus, what we miss with the modern cameras. My new project is a pinhole camera - non digital (perhaps).

We should encourage past members to join and compare their results again. No matter which camera they use today. I miss many of the old members, but I am quite sure, that they are watching us now and then. Using a general forum is no solution, we don't find us there unless we are using a special tag (eg. ppp = panasonic past-member posting).

You convinced me to use my old gear again. I spent so many thoughts on workarounds with the digital cameras, some of these problems are not existent in the analogue world.

Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2006, 1:50 PM   #8

Hi Sven,

Nice to be missed. Thank you. I check in every so often. I really don't have much to say though, but I'm always amazed at the great photos posted here, and it's nice to say "hey" tosome old cyber friends : )

Digitals are good. I still use my FZ1v2 sometimes, but I usually do so when I need a big telephoto, for which these are amazing, or if I want to do a macro, or easy IR. So, it's become more of a specialty camera than a general photography camera.

I find the ISO speeds are limiting, sometimes like to shoot with a 24mm or wider without hanging agiant five poundteleconverter off the lens, and blown highlights drive menuts.The deal breaker for me, however, is their general inability to isolate the subject from the background due to their huge DOF. I also prefer a few simple controls. Those "limitations" you speak of can be resolved by buying a DSLR. But at $1000and upa pop... no thanks. I can stick with film and resolve those limitations for $40 or so for a cheap japanese fixed lens rangefinder or a film SLR.

It's nice to take a candid of your kids, no flash, unposed, in /nearly/any lighting condition. The best cameras for that are 60's-70's fixed lens rangefinders, imo.Quite leaf shutters that sync flash at all speeds. Fast manual focusing in any lighting condition (once you get the hang of them)with/without a filter. A 50mm lens is all you really need. Some of the greatest photograpers used a single focal length... But if you want the big zoom, you have your FZ.

There's no reason film and digital should be mutually exclusive, or you should be in one and not the other camp. Use both!

Good luck with that pinhole camera!

Nick