Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 7, 2006, 3:14 PM   #1

Hi again everybody, I finally arrive in Phoenix around noon. Slept most of the time and woke up just in time for the fireworks. Didn't really go anywhere though because we had a big party at home (Tempe Lake Town would be much nicer but didn't get a chance to go).
Attached Images

Sandhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2006, 3:16 PM   #2

I was thinking about going to see the firework at Tempe Town Lake for the last 2 weeks but I guess this is just the way it goes...
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2006, 3:17 PM   #3

More firework (please don't get bore).
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2006, 3:18 PM   #4

ummmm....
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2006, 3:19 PM   #5

I'm probably the only crazy guy here. Left home in Las Vegas to see firework somewhere else.....
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2006, 3:20 PM   #6

Last one (before I bore you guys to death). Next year I'll definitely stay in Last Vegas for the 4th of July.
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2006, 3:22 PM   #7

I only had one day off so had to rush back from Phoenix on Wednesday morning. Stop by at Hoover Dam again. Let's see what it's like in day time.
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2006, 3:24 PM   #8

This is the statue of Scaler who had conribute their labors and some of them, their lives, here at the Dam.

Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2006, 3:27 PM   #9

Another statue but I don't remember the name. It was built after the Dam was finished to remind visitors of one of the greatest engineering achievement.
Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2006, 3:50 PM   #10

My last Photo on this trip (also my favorite). I called it (Almost) Impossible for 3 reasons.

1. There's big concrete wall about 4 feet high and 2 feet thick wrap around the Dam for tourist protection. Although there're numbers of spots they make for photographers to take pictures, those photo spots are not in right angle to see the whole thing. I tried to stand closer to the center as much as possible (the center area has big thick glass blocking the view) so it was hard to hold the camera that far without remote shutter release.

2. Even with wideangle lens (my is .5X which is eqiv. to 17mm), I still can't get this whole thing in one shot. it just wayyyy to wide and water is wayyyy to long with the sky far away. Panorama is the only option but with normal lens, I found it was very hard to take light measure. With a 35mm, It'll take 4-5 shots to complete this but each frames were too different to make a panorama. The Dam reflect light so much it was too bright. The water absorb light so much it was way too dark and the sky is also very bright too.

3. To make a panorama here, composing was harder too. Holding the camera so far away, you can't do it with a DSLR without live view mode.

Sory about all the detail, but as I said, this is my favorite shot of the Hoover Dam so I think it worth mentioning. Thank you for visiting.....
Attached Images