Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 8, 2006, 8:34 PM   #1

I have read a lot about the FZ30 noise issue, I am finding my images very noisy (sky in particular) and would like advice on how to improve the results.

I love the zoom but am now considering moving to a dSLR as this noise is just too much for me.

I have tried using Noise Ninja but the results are disappointing. :sad:

Check the links to these two pictures, (expand images to full size using Internet Explorer), both were shot as JPEGS, I can't seem to get much out of the bundled ARCSoft supplied when converting from RAW.

The night shot was ISO 80, the storks in the tree ISO 200.

http://www.hostmyfile.info/files/2380/P1030305.JPG

http://www.hostmyfile.info/files/2380/P1010878.JPG
daclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2006, 8:38 AM   #2

If you insist on viewing photos that size ...I do not believe the FZ30 is for you.

I can only see the stork photo and while I think its fine when viewed at a normal size which means it will also print just fine.

It would be special if the highlights were not blown out.
Attached Images

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:39 AM   #3

I have to agree with you.

I think my 'problem' started after I attached a Formac 20 inch LCD to my PC.

Its moved my expectations higher and shows up faults in shots I had never seen before.

Here is a smaller version of a night shot (1229 x 922).

I view at 1600 x 1200.

Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:55 AM   #4

I use a 19 inch LCD and while I do see a little noise in that night shot ...I think its very nice.

I am not real good with NR programs as I do not find the noise to be objectionable.....However I am sure if you spend some time with either Neat Image or Noise Ninja you will be able to remove the noise.

Perhaps someone can give you some good pointers on the use of the NR programs....as I am aware of people that batch run a NR program on all their photos even those from a DSLR....
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:05 PM   #5

Dac

That second shot looks pretty clean to me I couldn't make out any noise at that size.

I'd like to help on the NR app side but I hardly ever use them.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:37 PM   #6

Daclick, Sounds like you are being influenced by what you have read ! Although there is some noise in your pictures it isn't bad at all and what there is can be corrected by Noise Ninja. (See attached picture) I cropped into one of your pictures and ran NN on it and it cleaned up the noise. Remember your going to have some noise no matter what type of digital camera you use! Jim
Attached Images

tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 6:45 PM   #7

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Daclick,** Sounds like you are being influenced by what you have read !
I wonder what you mean by that.

I can't get anything like as good results from Noise Ninja.

I am using NN2 (albeit unlicensed), I have read and followed the user guide - can't seem to get any improvements.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 7:04 PM   #8

"I have read a lot about the FZ30 noise issue, I am finding my images very noisy (sky in particular) and would like advice on how to improve the results."

Daclick, I was referring to the above statement. I felt you had been reading about the FZ30 having a noise problem and began looking for the problem in your pictures and seeing a problem that really wasn't there! I use the Noise Ninja plug-in for Photoshop and had no problem removing any noise from your picture, although it really didn't have much ! Try doing a color noise profile and then click on ok and that should take care of your 'noise'. Also I think I would have used ISO 80 or 100 for the storks and that would have kept the noise level down . Jim
Old Jul 9, 2006, 7:55 PM   #9

I have now found FZ10 and FZ20 profiles for NN2.

I used an FZ20 profile which worked well and removed a good deal of noise.

I'm quite happy with the result now, is there a profile available for the FZ30?
Old Jul 9, 2006, 8:23 PM   #10

Daclick, I believe there is a profile for the FZ30 but not sure. I don't use those as I create a new one for each picture and find that works best. When you first open the program just click on color and then on profile and after it creates a profile click ok and it will apply it to your picture. You can also save your profiles. Jim