Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 9, 2006, 2:57 AM   #1

took this with my FZ20 on a recent visit to the Museum of Flight in Seattle. the Great Gallery was the first part of the museum to be built, and still houses most of the indoor exhibits, except for those in the "Personal Courage" wing, which contains about 25 WWI and WWII fighters in various displays. Outdoor displays include a Russian-built MiG-15, a B-47 bomber, one of the Concorde SST's, an A-6E Intruder and an F-14 Tomcat.

for airplane buffs, in this photo of the Great Gallery, a Vietnam-era F-4C Phantom dominates the foreground, with one of the original A-12 reconnaissance planes (which evolved into the well-known SR-71 after the USAF took over the program from the CIA) in the background. beneath the F-4's tail is an early version of the ALCM - Air Launched Cruise Missile - andjust visible behind it is the tail of a Czech air force MiG-21. in the far back, on the left,a Focke-Wulf FW-190d-13 from WWII sits under a Stearman PT-19 biplane trainer, and just visible overheadthe blue, sharp-pointy nose of Lockheed F-104C Starfighter can be seen, along with numerous other prototype, limited-production, or antique aircraft. the gallery also houses one of the Gee-Bee racing planes from the 1930's, an F-86A Sabre jet from the Korean War, one of the Blue Angels' former A-4E Skyhawks, a NavyF-9F Panther jet, and replicas of the Wright Flyer, the Ryan M-1, and a Boeing tri-motor passenger plane from the 1930's. It's not as big as the Smithsonian, of course, but there are a lot of aircraft represented, with more coming all the time.

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2006, 8:21 AM   #2

interesting photo and nicely done.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 8:50 AM   #3

Nice photo Squirl, FZ20 will be around for a while with a lot of users.

Don.
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:38 AM   #4

I Like that Lighting in the Gallery, They make it easy for photographers to take pictures. Unlike this one I took at Wright Patterson AFB Museum, it was very dark and I used the hand rail for a tripod.

JMK1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:52 PM   #5

Wow Squirl you squeezed a lot of aircraft into that one shot, very nice! I've attached a shot of an A10 that I took while touring the Pima Air Museum in Tucson. Did you ever locate that Fighter Museum that moved from Mesa, Az to your area? Jim
Attached Images

tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:58 PM   #6

Wright-Patterson is one of the places i'd love to visit. they seem to have some impressive stuff there, including the B-58 you got in your pic! nicely done for a makeshift support!
Old Jul 9, 2006, 1:06 PM   #7

tiger98 wrote:
Quote:
Wow Squirl you squeezed a lot of aircraft into that one shot, very nice! I've attached a shot of an A10 that I took while touring the Pima Air Museum in Tucson. Did you ever locate that Fighter Museum that moved from Mesa, Az to your area? Jim
no, i never did find it. i do know that Paul Allen (he of the Microsoft shares, who owns theSeattle Seahawks, innumerable yachts, the Star Trek Museum, etc...) is setting up an aircraft musuem as well. he currently has one of only a handful of Bf109-E3's in the world, and has plans for some pretty impressive exhibits, such as an F-105G Thunderchief - the "Wild Weasel" of Vietnam fame -a DeHavilland Mosquito, a Hawker Hurricane, an He-111 bomber, and a batch of other relatively uncommon aircraft. many are stillin restoration, but when it's complete, it will be quite an exhibit... hopefully i'll still be around to go see it! :G
Old Jul 9, 2006, 1:22 PM   #8

Squirl, Regarding the Champlin Fighter Museum, which was moved from Mesa, Az to the Washington area:

http://seattle.about.com/b/a/089430.htm

http://www.museumofflight.org/Displa...age=MedFactPCW

http://www.museumofflight.org/Portal.asp?Flash=True

Jim

Old Jul 9, 2006, 1:26 PM   #9

so the Museum of Flight's "Personal Courage" wing contains the aircraft that used to be at Champlin? yes, i have seen that. quite impressive. if you look back a page or two, i posted some shots taken there on the same trip... very low light, so it took some tweaking to make the images viewable, but you can definitely get a feel for the place...

Old Jul 9, 2006, 1:34 PM   #10

Found your posts for that museum, looks like a pretty neat place! Jim