Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:35 PM   #1

I don't presume this to be a quality picture but thought some might be interested in Mt. Warning. It is the remnant of an ancient volcano inland from Tweed Heads in New South Wales. The area around is extremely fertile and contains sub-tropical forest, sugar cane and agriculture.

The top of Mt. Warning is the first place on the mainland of Australia to receive the sun's rays....Fred

Attached Images

Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:01 AM   #2

not a bad picture. nothing crazily special ( IMO) but it is well taken. it is composed well , as it seems to be in 3 layers, the foreground is the lake, then the hills in the midground,slightly hazy and the mountain itself is almost blue like the sky showing how far away it is. the trees seem to frame the houses well, although i find my eye drawn to the bridge in the front as it is framed very well by the trees, but the focus is the mountain and not the bridge. the fact that the house/shed in the foreground is positioned to the left and not centered helps the picture a lot. no photo is perfect, and the good points of this photo outweight the bad ones.

well done and keep it up
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 7:35 AM   #3

Thank you Schmintan for your excellent comments. I agree as I stated that the picture is nothing special but I am always drawn to Mt. Warning when I visit the area and I thought others may be interested.

It may also be of interest that Tweed Heads is on the NSW side of the NSW/Queensland border and Coolangatta is it's twin town on the Queensland side. During summer NSW advances the clocks by one hour for daylight saving and Queensland does not. This means that one side of the main street through the townhas an hour difference to the other side...OK in the days when pubs had strict closing times.

fred
Old Jul 14, 2006, 7:55 AM   #4

Strange looking mountain. Like the back of huge bison grazing over the hillside.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:16 AM   #5

Nice landscape shop, with mountain as a backdrop. Unusual looking mountain. Always love to see Australian scenes.

Thanks,

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:33 PM   #6

Hi Bootneck,

I'm really intrigued with this Mt. Warning photo. I've never seen anything like that. The top of the mountain (once volcano) is so wide looking, I can onlyimagin it must have been hugein it's youth. It's very ominous in it's appearance even today. Very impressive.

Thanks for sharing this bit of documentary. :-)

Teree
gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:40 PM   #7

Nice photo and history. It is a strange looking mountain.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 1:51 AM   #8

Thanks all for your encouraging comments....Fred
Old Jul 19, 2006, 4:13 AM   #9

Fred, I like the shot. Good depth.

As you know there is more than a little interstate rivalry between us here in New South Wales and our northern neighbours in Queensland.

Queenslanders don't want daylight savings time for fear that the extra hour of daylight would make he curtains fade quicker. : - )

Puddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 6:58 AM   #10

Hi Max....We believe the same in WA!

You know that the bananabenders call those from the southern states - Mexicans (South of the border)

Fred