Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:20 PM   #11

Actually, Im pretty open minded on what my next cam will be - I've waited 12 months already so another month or two isn't going to hurt. If I was looking for a pocket cam that did low light then the Fuji is the only one in town, if I wanted full manual control and RAw than the LX1/2 is the only option. I'm happy with my FZ10 although there are things that I wish I could really do and thats going to need a larger sensor based cam. Will I go for an FZ50, probably not - the FZ30 looks like the better cam.

Regards the L1 - its going to cost approx the same as a Canon 30D + a mid-level Canon lens with IS. To get the same qulaity Canon lens as the Leica D - your looking at a cool £800 or $1200USD for the lens alone - the L1 kit shouldn;t cost much more than £1100. From what I've seen recently, the L1's sensor is not doing too bad at all esp with regards to noise - from ISO100-800 its producing better files (IQ, less noise and higher detail) than the new 10MP based Sony Alpha - the only fault that's been noticed is that there is banding in the images from ISO400-1600. Once the bandings fixed which shouldnt be too difficult as its consistant then the noise level's and IQ are better than from the latest Sony APS-C sensor. I doubt the L1 will have less noise than the Canon 30D but it could be pretty close to the Nikon D200. If I can find the same sample shots from a 30D or D200 I will post a comparison.

You can see the comparison shots here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=93

Whatever my next camera it will be fine purchase by me - whethers its an FZ, R1, L1, E1, 30D, D200, LX etc etc.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:29 PM   #12

HarjTT, I have seen the pics in the link you posted: they do neither camera any praise. The A100 will not be a performer when it comes to noise. But the 30D is just such a performer. Dude, seriously, if you're swinging that kind of dough, I can't believe you're considering the L1 to the 30D or even the D200. :P
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:42 PM   #13

Nothings set in concrete - my hard earned £££$$$ is going to be wisely spent or not spent. We'll know by the end of this week as the first batch of production L1's go on sale in Japan whether its a dud or not.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote