Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:12 PM   #1

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=19209139

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:54 PM   #2

Ho disappointing. When you zoom in on the lens, you see that is has exactly the same specs as the one of the FZ30. So no new chipsize, and mostly even more noise when not counting the new VenusIII engine.
uz-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 3:16 AM   #3

It's very surprising to see that they haven't changed the design one bit. I would be inclined to say this is some kind of hoax if it weren't for the site this is published in.
To be honest, it looks like a very big disappointment on the horizon. Now let's just see what sensor they use for it to make but as things are, it doesn't look good for the noise reduction capabilities of this camera.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:48 AM   #4

The Panasonic DMC FZ50 will be announced officially on the 21/07/06.

REALYTYCHECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 3:52 AM   #5

Where, how and who from did you find that out, REALYTYCHECK?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:28 AM   #6

From what I can tell it looks pretty real to me - I even went to the Pana Spanish website directly and the FZ50 and LX2 were both there a couple of days ago. They've made some minor changes and nothing radical - stick in 10MP to possibly the same sensor, reduce the LC's res and size a bit, throw in venus III (which from all accounts seems to loose detail at higher ISO's). My first impressions are the FZ30's the better camera - if it was down to me I would have dropped in a slightly larger sensor at 7MP, fitted a new slightly larger lens and this time go for f2.8 constant, kept the LCD size and res, increased the res on the EVF, improve shutter lag and AF, increased the ISO by steps of 50 and given the cam TTL flash hotshoe (same as the L1's so that if you did ever decide to upgrade to a Pana or Oly DSLR you could still use the same flash unit).

Cheers

HarjTT

:O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:52 AM   #7

HarjTT, are you talking about the LX2 or the LC2? It would be very interesting to see a successor to the LC1.

Speaking of the FZ30's successor, it is a real disappointment. Going with 10MP and keeping the same sensor will be a real disaster. The FZ30 is noisy enough, no need to go any noisier with theFZ50. Whyisn't Panasonic adressing the noise problems customers are adressing?

HarjTT, have you looked at the Fuji's new S6500? Judging from my experience with the F10 and seeing that the S6500 is using the same sensor only adding a great wide to tele lens with manual zoom, with a fair price, that will be THE greatest prosumer on the market today (excluding the R1 freak). If you ask me, that is the way to go, and not adding more MP and increasing the numer from 30 to 50 like Panny does. I don't know why but Panny is constantly disappointing lately. Better not be hasty though and wait for the actual product and the reviews.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:54 PM   #8

That link has been amended, no more picture or info on the 'FZ50'??
Seedubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:27 PM   #9

zygh

I was talking about the LX2 - the LC1's replacement is effectively the DMC L1 which is a shame in some ways as I think there's definetely a market for an 28-150 4/3 fixed lens EVF cam and I for one would have seriously looked at getting one. Now I'm still waiting for the offical annoucement for the FZ40/50 but I am disappointed that they wanted to still pursue the megapixel race instead of starting a new IQ race. I will be looking at the DMC-L1 when it's launched too.

Regards the new Fuji, its not for me - I'm sure the it has a super sensor but the lens, good that it is, is not of the same quality as the Panaleica and any UZ I look at has to have IS and the Fuji doesn't. I also really like the look of the images that the FZ's produce , although I have seen some pretty nice shots from the Fuji's too.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 6:37 PM   #10

HarjTT, it is of no use to have stabilization if image quality is crap because of the high noise above ISO100. Think about it, withthe F10 I can use up to ISO800 with low noise levels that I could not get with the FZ30 at even ISO100 :G. And the new F30 goes up to ISO3200 with usable up to ISO1600. Nothing below dSLR can touch that! And, as a plus, the Fuji S6500's lens starts at 28mm (35mm equiv.) and not 35mm (35mm equiv.)as the FZ30's does. Judgingfrom experience, wide is way more important than tele. But anyway, you seem to be a big Panasonic fan so I guess the only way foryou is Panasonic. Hope the new FZ40/50 isa better performer noise wise than the FZ30 was, for your bank account's sake, 'cuz that L1 is not worth all thedough it charges.

Cheers!