Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 16, 2006, 8:28 AM   #1

Just managed to obtain a Raynox 250 2nd hand, and went my house downstairs to try it out.....wow, not easy to shoot, and still on a steep learning curve. 300 shots, only a handful ok.

Appreciate your comments on these new setup shots. Have lots to learn from callmebali.

FZ10+Raynox 250, F8, 1/60-160s, ISO50, ext diffused flash

#1: JS side profile (my only sharpest shot)

#2: Mating Leafhoppers

#3: Leafhopper Side (excuse the rear dark part)

#4: Farming

#5: Another view
tchuanye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:12 PM   #2

The first one certainly is sharp. From your mastery of macros I assumed you had worked with higher diopter lens such as the +8 dcr250. What is the highest you have used prior to the dcr250? A pair of nikon 3t would give you +6 which isn't a whole lot less magnification. At any rate, as you can see, the dof is extremely shallow and ata focus distance is only 12.5cm (5") you have to get pretty close. Were you getting any camera shadow from the flash? Setting the aperture to f8 gets the dof as deep as possible with the fz10.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 1:07 PM   #3

Hi Tan!
1st and 3rd are great!
Above 4-5* zoom is a pain in the ass useing the drc250 handheld (camera shake), but the magnification is worth using it.
I think the working distance is not a problem for you, becouse you use reverse lens, too, which working distance is 4cm.
I'm very interested your opinion on reverse lens comperd to the dcr250, becouse I want to take it a try, if I can managed to take on my Fz10.
The DOF is shallower compered to the rev. lens?
Regards, Bali

callmebali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:22 PM   #4

Nice shots tchuanye. I thought with your experience with macro would of made it easier to work with theRaynox.For comparison, Itwould of being nice to seetwo shots of the same spider with the Nikons stacked and the Raynox 250!

Thanks for sharing.
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:34 PM   #5

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
The first one certainly is sharp. From your mastery of macros I assumed you had worked with higher diopter lens such as the +8 dcr250. What is the highest you have used prior to the dcr250? A pair of nikon 3t would give you +6 which isn't a whole lot less magnification. At any rate, as you can see, the dof is extremely shallow and ata focus distance is only 12.5cm (5") you have to get pretty close. Were you getting any camera shadow from the flash? Setting the aperture to f8 gets the dof as deep as possible with the fz10.

Yes, I have worked with reverse lens on the FZand is alot harder, and nearer too. Reverse on the A610 is easier. So I presumed the +8 DCR would be easier....but well, it still needs getting used to. No flash shadows as I am using a hotsync cable flash. The shadows you see are from the leaves, branches etc.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:40 PM   #6

callmebali wrote:
Quote:
Hi Tan!
1st and 3rd are great!
Above 4-5* zoom is a pain in the bottom useing the drc250 handheld (camera shake), but the magnification is worth using it.
I think the working distance is not a problem for you, becouse you use reverse lens, too, which working distance is 4cm.
I'm very interested your opinion on reverse lens comperd to the dcr250, becouse I want to take it a try, if I can managed to take on my Fz10.
The DOF is shallower compered to the rev. lens?
Regards, Bali

Yes I have used the reverse on FZ and its a greater pain, and lesser DOF to use. I was actually looking for something between my FZ+6T+SIGMA CU and A610+reverse lens. But I found out that the FZ+Raynox at x12 has greater magnification than the A610+reverse. The FZ+Raynox is abt 1cm wide FOV, while the A610 +reverse is 1.5cm. The distance also allows the flash to give a good illumination to subject compared to the 4cm rev lens distance. I would say the Raynox 250 is good enough....unless you want to get even smaller subjects.

If you want to try, At 12x for reverse is almost unuseable.....I use it at abt x7-x8. But nowadays, my reverse set up is withmy A610.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:40 PM   #7

Macnite wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots tchuanye. I thought with your experience with macro would of made it easier to work with theRaynox.For comparison, Itwould of being nice to seetwo shots of the same spider with the Nikons stacked and the Raynox 250!

Thanks for sharing.
Well, I thought so too....but its still require me to get a hang of it. I guess with more practice, I will get a better hang of it.

Will try to get a comparison......that is if the spider is willing to wait for me to change the filters!!! :lol:

Old Jul 17, 2006, 12:33 AM   #8

That jumping spider is really cool!

The DCR-250 is sort of a pain, I have only been able to get a few acceptable shots with it.
vaiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 3:47 AM   #9

tchuanye wrote:

Quote:
Yes I have used the reverse on FZ and its a greater pain, and lesser DOF to use. I was actually looking for something between my FZ+6T+SIGMA CU and A610+reverse lens. But I found out that the FZ+Raynox at x12 has greater magnification than the A610+reverse. The FZ+Raynox is abt 1cm wide FOV, while the A610 +reverse is 1.5cm. The distance also allows the flash to give a good illumination to subject compared to the 4cm rev lens distance. I would say the Raynox 250 is good enough....unless you want to get even smaller subjects.

If you want to try, At 12x for reverse is almost unuseable.....I use it at abt x7-x8. But nowadays, my reverse set up is withmy A610.
Nice shots tchuanye!

Knowing all these pains with the dcr250 was one of the reason to calculate the parameters for all achromats and reverse lenses:

http://www.geocities.com/seemolf/ach...l?200617#field

You will find your FOV data in this table....

I don't like the restricted zoom range with the dcr250. The Olympus a life size or front lenses from binoculars give me a range of FOV from 80 to10 mm - compared to 30(25) mm to 10 mm with the dcr250.

Sven
seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:18 AM   #10

These are darn good TC. Can't really see a problem with these at all to be honest. Just think back to when you first started with high ratio macro and youwill probably find the same. It takes time and patience. You have already proved you have that my friend. Your shots are just fantastic. So just give yourself time with the new setup and be stubborn as always :-).

All the best TC, just keep them coming :-)

Danny.
nzmacro is offline   Reply With Quote