Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 19, 2006, 2:36 PM   #11

"The sensor in the FZ50 I think is the same as the one in the FZ30 just 2MP's more. Best to wait and see what the reviews are goign to be like and print the mages out but I think I'll be going DSLR with the next cam..."

Yeah, that's pretty much my feelings. When I saw it was 10MP, I hoped Panasonic had gone with a larger CCD. I've waited somewhat impatiently for the introduction of the FZ50; and I have to say, at first blush, I'm very disappointed. The press release sounds more like a sales pitch than an introduction. If the camera was truly revolutionary, the company wouldn't have to brag about it's supposed superiority. I'll wait a bit longer for the reviews, but the Venus III engine will have to perform miracles that I don't think it can do before I'll be interested. The marketing department can put out a press release every day until the FZ50 is released, and they won't sell me a camera. The FZ50 will have to sell itself. Right now, I'm looking at future DSLR's; and it's Sony's offering, not Panasonic's.

Dress it in chiffon, and smear the lipstick on.

It still looks like the fat girl at the senior prom.

lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 2:48 PM   #12

I'm still very happy with my FZ20, and will keep it for as long as possible. When the FZ30 was released, as nice as it was, it didn't bowl me over and I saw no reason to get one. Ditto for the FZ50. But I honestly hope that a lot of the criticism being thrown at the FZ50 since its announcement this morning will be proven baseless to a certain extent. Only time will tell.

Even though I will keep my FZ20, I still intend to get myself a DSLR sometime soon. The L1 is out of the question (entirely due to its cost). Right now I'm thinking about a Nikon D50 or D70s (or their successors), or perhaps the Olympus E500. Trying to choose the DSLR that's right for me, and has that certain je ne sais quoi that pleases me, is a much tougher choice than I had with the FZ20 (choosing the FZ20 was pretty well a no-brainer).
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 3:58 PM   #13

I'm hijacking! all the posts here are the same things i read when the fz30 came out - if you had the 20, you were sticking with it because the 30 didn't have enough changes, now the 50 is coming and people with the 30 are saying the same thing!

you should consider the pentax *ist dl - price cant be beat right now. it has the same sensor as the d50, excellent iso capability (1600 has barely noticeable degrading, even 3200 is very useable). having only spent 8 months on the fz30 boat, and a week and a half with the new pentax, the fz series is a good stepping stone, but everything you feel like you're missing is found in a dslr. if i get any responses (i'm a thread killer i've found!), they'll probably be the standard 'the fz30 is just as good as a dslr for outdoor shooting' - ok, i'll give you that, but it only excels at one thing, everything else just turns out ok. my indoor shots with the pentax blow the fz30 out of the water.

oh did i mention i picked up a tamron 80-210 (120-315 on the dslr), 9x equivalent zoom for $43 shipped from keh? they have a ton of used, cheap pentax lenses, and they're all good quality...i didn't know you could get inexpensive lenses for dslrs until i actually looked! oh and a pentax 28-80 for $32 from cameta auctions as well. looking for a 50mm prime f1.4 or f1.7, gonna go pawn shop hunting this weekend! (the pentax line is compatible with all their K-mount lenses, dating back to the 60s - kinda makes it easy to find a gem once in awhile) let the LBA (lens buying addiction) begin.

bottom line, for under $500 after rebate, i've got a nice dslr, and 3 lenses to play with.

one last edit - go to a store that has several dslrs, including the pentax - it is the smallest dslr, only weighs 200g or so more than the fz30 - fits like a glove, all the rest of them felt too bulky!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 5:50 PM   #14

DougG wrote:
Quote:
I'm still very happy with my FZ20, and will keep it for as long as possible. When the FZ30 was released, as nice as it was, it didn't bowl me over and I saw no reason to get one. Ditto for the FZ50. But I honestly hope that a lot of the criticism being thrown at the FZ50 since its announcement this morning will be proven baseless to a certain extent. Only time will tell.

Even though I will keep my FZ20, I still intend to get myself a DSLR sometime soon. The L1 is out of the question (entirely due to its cost). Right now I'm thinking about a Nikon D50 or D70s (or their successors), or perhaps the Olympus E500. Trying to choose the DSLR that's right for me, and has that certain je ne sais quoi that pleases me, is a much tougher choice than I had with the FZ20 (choosing the FZ20 was pretty well a no-brainer).
I'm with you Doug. Until they can do something about the noise (which, by the way, I thinkis very over blown on the FZ20) without in camera processing I'm staying put with my FZ20.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 6:03 PM   #15

I don't think youre really hijacking, its a valid point - i'm sure the same things were being said about the fz30, though from what i can gather i think the difference to the fz 30 from 50 will be less than fz20 to 30, and seems to be going backwards if 2 fps is the max. Interesting article on dan's data http://www.dansdata.com/gz059.htmthough pointing out that megapixels isnt everything. Also its worthmentioning the optics which is one of the fz30 strengths. The low f number is very good as is the image stabilisation.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I've never really had a problem with the fz indoors, maybe its not great, but it works and i dont shoot much indoors. I am half tempted by an slr, but the amount of stuff you would need to carry around.....

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Basically if you want small and lightweightyou have noise (differing levels among the non-dslrs) if you want low noise then the sensor gets bigger and therefore the optics and therefore the cost increases - big lenses cost a lot and are big - hence the size of dslrs

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"You've try cheaper 2nd hand stuff, im interest how the photos are - have you got any, because i do think alot of lenses are overpriced.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Basically the fz30 is about flexiblity - i like bolting on filters and other stuff, but by itself it is fine. Noise isnt that important, the resolving power of the lens is though and i think the lack of aborations on the fz30 lens makes it a winner, besides noise can add to photos or neat imaged.

A good photo is more than just technically good - thats the relatively easy part - its the other bits that i really need to work on and that is why the fz20 will take great photos, i still think my best macros are with my nikon 4500
iom_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 8:50 PM   #16

unfortunately flickr is down at the moment, which sucks! i'd post some samples, mostly just fooling around with the pentax upto this point anyways. i might forget about this thread...send me a PM so i'll have an email reminder - i'll make sure to post some pics with the tamron lens when i put them on the pc and let you know when i do- so far i'm impressed with the lens though, i did print a photo straight from the card and it turned out awesome.

i know what you mean about noise adding to a photo too...only thing is, with the pentax i have to go to 3200 to get comparable noise to 400 on the fz30, no joke! like i said, i'll take a few pics and probably get around to posting them this weekend - so PM me as a little reminder and I'll keep you updated!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:44 PM   #17

If you want to see some comparisons, check our genece's thread "some more to compare" FZ's do have their limits but the do darn well at what most of us use them for. If we want low light shots we canspend 1/3the price of a good lens and buy a companion camera.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:58 PM   #18

iom_dave wrote
Quote:
I don't think youre really hijacking, its a valid point - i'm sure the same things were being said about the fz30, though from what i can gather i think the difference to the fz 30 from 50 will be less than fz20 to 30
Having played with both, the FZ20 to FZ30 transition was a rather large jump, while the FZ50 is really an FZ30.1 - a few small tweaks here and there, but unless you look really hard you'll barely notice the difference. Maybe Panasonic have run into the same problem that Microsoft did with Office some years ago, at a certain point you just run out of new things to add and so you have to resort to rearranging the deck chairs (and withdrawing the previous model) to get people to buy the new versions.

As with (I guess) most other people here, the main thing I'd be looking for in the FZ50 is a less noisy sensor. Since (at least from the preliminary info) it doesn't appear to have that and since the FZ30 is already a damn good camera, there's not much going for the '50...
Lens Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:04 AM   #19

zygh wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, the fact that they have a special "noise issue" page speaks for itself.
Overall, it's disappointing to see they "stuffed" (as Phil says) more pixels and kept the size of the sensor.
Quote:
Funny... it almost sounds like Panasonic isknocking the noise issue of the FZ30. Yet before the FZ50 you could hear them say... Noise??? What Noise??? :P
Quote:
Anyway, when the reviews come out, I'd be interested to see two comparison tests: 1. FZ50 8MP ISO400 image vs. FZ30 8MP ISO400 image and the image post processed with NoiseNinja or whatever to see just how similar the results are; I'm just curious as how similar these two images would look compared to each other(a.k.a. how good the Venus3 really is) and 2. FZ50 6MP ISO400, ISO800 & ISO1600 images vs. Fujifilm F30 6MP ISO400, ISO800 & ISO1600 images. :evil:
Quote:
Ever wonder why they use such small pictures as sample images on their website? I'll bet the images of the camera itself were taken with something other than a Panasonic.
:|
Quote:
P.S. 680EUR starting price?!?! Are they mad?!? :lol:
:idea: It makes perfect sense to me... set the price so high that the consumers buy their DSLR instead. Wait a minute!! The price on their DSLR is so high the consumer will just buy a Canon, Nikon instead.

:P

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:34 AM   #20

schmintan wrote:
Quote:
im with you guys, why use the same small sensor thats noise prone at high megapixel counts, and jam more megapixels onto it to increase the problem. i dont care how good the versus III engine is, its a step back cramming more pixels onto an already crowded tiny sensor. i definately wont be going for this. they just boosted teh numbers of teh FZ30, to no increase in quality. it was released as a marketing idea rather than new technology. they think people want bigger numbers. i think people are happer with the numbers we have now and need increases in quality rather than size. this has been said countless times, you would think panasonic would listen. im sticking with my FZ7, and if they dont change their attidude of telling the people what they want rather than listening to them , they will not be my next choice of camera
Conversation between Panasonic R&D tech and marketing rep talking amongst themselves:

Should we put a larger sensor in the FZ50?

No way!! besides having to figure out how to re-engineer the basic platform to accomdate a larger sensor without makingthe camera a big behemoth,it costs way to much to put a larger sensor in a camera. That would put the camera into the midrange DSLR price category so people would just buy a DSLR, but not ours sincewe are not trying to sell midrange DSLRS.

We'll just give them more megapixels... Yeah... that's what they really want.The average consumer thinks more is better and it gives them bragging rights. Only those guys over at the forums will know the difference and they will end up buying a great affordable DSLR anyway. Hopefully someday soon we'll make one of those affordable DSLRs, but for now, we want the average Joe to buy this camera.

Do you think thatconsumers willrealize that putting more megapixels in the same size sensor means each pixel is smaller and reduces the light gathering capabilities of each pixel?

Nah!Trust me.... they'll never figure it out, and if they do, we'll just make thelogo larger on the Pseudo Leicaon the second production run...By that time the upgraded firmware code should be ready. Man! That Leica branding was a great idea.Hope it is enough to keep them away from the Sony Alpha.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote