Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 21, 2006, 8:10 PM   #21

What happened to the FZ40???? Perhaps now, it will be the real upgrade to the FZ30..
geotlyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 8:45 PM   #22

Apparently the reason for the jump to the FZ50 is thatthe number 4 is a Chinese/Japanese isn't meant to bring good luck. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

HarjTT

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:32 AM   #23

wanted to buy the FZ20 so badly but was a bit costly. then had some money and fz30 is out. perhaps i can fit my budget for a FZ30. lurked around the forums for a bit before i did that investment and figured, nah am not spending this much money for a camera that cannot perform in low light.

well perhaps the next generation would be different? whats its called now? errr FZ50. damn surely sounds good. buying a Pana FZ50. what??? 10MP. damn i dont really need that many pixels. 6 is probably more than enough for me i think!. especially with all the noise? no thanks. i give up.

ok it just confirms that perhaps a DSLR is the best way to go. In thailand, Nikon has got the best deal going and maybe in a year or two i've saved up enough for the Nikon VR lenses to go with it. especially with dropping prices of dslr and rising prices of mid range cameras like the FZ series.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 3:41 PM   #24

Well I have the FZ30 and it's great for me. It comes with me when I travel on business and can't justifycarrying theSLR, and it's my walk around camera in dodgyurban areas when I travel for pleasure. I agree 10MP is neither hear nor there but lets see how they have got on with the noise.

The reason I love the FZ 30 is the handling and the big improvements for me are in this area. I have wanted a function button and custom settings since I first started using it. So if the noise is no worse or even a little better,itcan still nudge 3fps in continuous then I'll pick one up in a few monthsnext time I'm in the far East. Betterauto bracketing would be a big plus too.

Edited because I have just seen it's gone down to 2FPS :sad:So not such an easy choice now, 10MP and in camera processingjust drags everything down
VinnyP! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:27 PM   #25

Well,

I had an FZ10. When the FZ20 came out I didn't feel it made much of a difference (+1 Mp, and something else I can't remember...) Then the FZ30 appeared. I think (and surely I'm not the only one who does) that 8 Mp was too much, they could have used 6.x and it would have been enough. Plus, the f 2.8 along the whole zoom range, which is so useful in an FZ10, was reduced to f 3.7 at the telephoto position in the FZ30, which for me was a loss.

Now the FZ50 comes in and... well, 10 Mp in the same sensor (from 4???) really can worry you. I'm not all sure about the job the Venus III does, I'd think you have to see it "in action". Apparently (according to their page and the sample there) it's good enough.

But still... it doesn't quite convince me. And if the lenses don't keep their f 2.8 (does somebody know if they do?) I would personally wait for the next FZ, if FZ it should be... then wait for the next one (what would that be, 5 months?) to buy it at a lower price.

What will happen with the next FZ?

José A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:41 AM   #26

...BTW, does anybody know when / if Steve is going to review the FZ50?

Thanks.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 12:10 PM   #27

Definitely will when the camera is officially released. You need to wait a bit.
ckthegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 1:21 PM   #28
jcr

In some weeks, I think we will see some comparison and real people posting result, and then we (I think)will see FZ50 recomended...lets wait a bit
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 1:12 PM   #29

...Ok!!!

:|