Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 19, 2006, 9:50 PM   #1

These are about a draw in my opinion.....all 4 photos are taken at quite a distance from a moving boat.

D50

FZ30

D50

FZ30

genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:33 PM   #2

The FZ30 is doing a great job in these comparisons. Did you have an extra lens on the FZ30? I noticed the D50 shows 400mm on both photos and the FZ30 both show 88.8mm focal length. Thanks for taking the time for these comparisons. For the money, convenience, and the quality, it just shows what the FZ's can do as well as why we lovethem.

Don

d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 12:02 AM   #3

Thanks for the posting, Gene... Which D50 lens were you using for these? To my eye, I'd give a smidge of an edge to the D50 over the FZ30 for a bit more detail/contrast but just barely....

Then too, I'd imagine you didn't have a 'kit' lens but rather one w/VR for these images from a moving boat...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:07 AM   #4

I think it is just barely that the D50 wins most photos but not all.

the FZ30 was shot in 3EZ at 632mm and the D50 used the Sigma 80 to 400 OS so both the shots from the D50 was 600mm including the crop factor and the FZ30 was 632mm....as I said these animals were quite a way away.

There were about 50 people on the boat and I will guarantee these are the best photos of the animals.

The longest lens on the boat besides these 2 cameras was 300mm and not stabilized.....and his photos looked bad on the LCD. (Canon XT)

This is One of the places a tripod would not work( much too crowded)...but I do wish I would have tried a mono-pod.

Also if these cameras offered an easy access to spot meter, would be wonderful. (FZ50 addresses this) I use center weight meter as a compromise, not perfect for any situation IMHO.

Also the OS of the D50 lens should have been on mode 2 (I think) for a moving boat, but it was not.

Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:08 AM   #5

I've found that my Manfrotto 681 Monopod (~$50)is very useful for my D50 since I don't have any stabilized lens. I've also used it with my FZ30 and typically use it in the fully retracted mode as a stabilizing arm when shooting BIF.

I'd highly recommend getting one for its all around uses with any digi...
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:15 AM   #6

I have one and recognize its worth ...but I am a lazy sucker and usually not willing to expend the energy to use the monopod or tripod for that matter....They are always with me in the vehicle but........
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:42 AM   #7

Thanks for taking the time for the comparison shots. You are proving to me the FZ30 does a better job than I would of guessed it could.

thanks again

roger (The Old Newbie)
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:22 AM   #8

thehotel wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time for the comparison shots. You are proving to me the FZ30 does a better job than I would of guessed it could.

thanks again

roger (The Old Newbie)
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7
Gene, I purchased this and it's great. Weighs just 1.1 lbs. and I usually carry camera mounted on it. Closes up to 22" and around my neck and to the side itgets in the way, very little if at all. The $44.95 for carbon fiber ain't bad either. I've bought from Johnseveral times and he ships very fast and if you have a problem it's taken care of immediately.

Don

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carbon-Fiber-Fib...QQcmdZViewItem
Attached Images

Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:24 AM   #9

Attached Images

Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:24 AM   #10

Thanks and those FZ30 photos are taken by my wife and she is a total point and shoot picture taker....absolutely no consideration for getting a better result.

One thing ..she does use burst mode to an extreme so there is usually a good shot or two in every burst.

I really wanted her to use the FZ20 on this trip, but she likes the FZ30 and she made me put it on 3EZ (and leave it there) and would not even consider using a TCon 17..

Then she lost the eyecupand I can not see the EVF without one so it was totally in her hands.