Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 14, 2003, 9:47 AM   #1

Default Lenses for DMC-FZ1

I've read (here on Steve's) that you can use 55mm filters on the FZ1.

I would think that since the lens barrel extends when you turn the camera on that this would be a problem.

Does anyone have any experience using filters on the FZ1?

Thank you
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2003, 3:24 AM   #2

Default Filters on the FZ1

I can understand how this can be confusing. The camera comes with a lens hood that comes in two parts, a black tube and the hood its self. First you remove the ring around the lens and screw in its place the tube. The hood attaches to the tube with a bayonet fitting, but inside the end of the tube is a 55mm thread into which you screw your filter.
I never remove the tube and filter just the hood when I put the camera away as the lens cap clips onto the end of the tube.
I hope you can understand my poor explanation. The extending lens never touches the filter.

David
David Elson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2003, 8:57 AM   #3

Thank you, I guess I never looked that closely at the tube. I'll have to study it when I get home this evening.
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2003, 8:49 PM   #4

Default ok

What's the trick? On my lens tube I can not thread anything into it. Do I need some kind of 55mm adapter?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 3:27 PM   #5

No special attachments are required to fit the 55mm filter. The 55mm internal thread does not venture far into the Hood tube but it is enough to hold a filter. I always keep my filter attached as it protects the lens against damage.
David Elson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2003, 11:13 PM   #6

The lens barrel extends, but with the supplied adapter it puts the filter just at the front of the lens. I've used a 55mm polarizing filter and a variable star filter with good results
car1ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2003, 5:52 AM   #7

Thanks guys.

Sorry about the confusion about "getting to" a polarising filter to turn it ops: Of course the filter thread is on the very front of the adaptor. It will only be difficult to get to an attached filter while the lens hood is attached (which seems to unattach and reattach very slickly I must say).

So we're now waiting for some enterprising soul to machine a metal version of the filter adaptor to attach a lens convertor to? Anyone out there prepared to "invalidate the manufacturer's guarantee"?...
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2003, 10:33 PM   #8

Default INFO?

The Sony VCL-1452H lens appears to work very well with the DMC-FZ1. It is a 1.4 Telephoto and is clean all the way thru the zoom. I think it was originally a portrait lens for the Sony 505v. It is not a heavy lens but it requires a good 55mm to 52mm stepdown adapter. The Sony 2x will not auto focus if at all?
Old Jun 19, 2003, 3:26 AM   #9

Thanks normc, an exciting discovery. Looks like this is a new lens not yet mentioned on the Sony UK site. The price in the USA looks about right for a good quality item. Hope I'm not breaking rules here by offering a link to a retailer site (I know nothing about this retailer ) but was the only place I could get a picture of the convertor :

http://www.imagestation.com/shop/pro.../?prodID=10581

Looks nice and compact. Any way we can get to see your results?
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2003, 8:57 PM   #10

Default ?? Results ??

Will try to get some loaded to pbase....they will not be much except to show the lens. I am physically disabled and some times have a problem getting around to photograph the stuff I would like.

I also want to use the Digit-Slave flash for some outside photos and these will most likely be better on a cloudy day.