Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:47 PM   #1

The sun was basically down but it was still kind of bright out on this hazy summer evening ~ 8pm. FX01 at iso200 and ev -1/3. 7 shot series at http://www.ishots.net/fx01iso200/

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=center]
[/align]

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:10 AM   #2

Fred...you know I am not a pixel peeper but it seems I can see noise in a couple of those even at that size (especially the one with the bug).......How noisey is it?
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:26 AM   #3

genece wrote:
Quote:
Fred...you know I am not a pixel peeper but it seems I can see noise in a couple of those even at that size (especially the one with the bug).......How noisey is it?
Gene - There is noise but less than I expected at iso200. The VenusII engine does a pretty good job. I took the iso up to get faster shutter speeds and just to see how well it could do with noise. These were mostly in the 1/50-1/20s range. Normally I wouldn't consider such lowlight shooting to be very promising. But the little fx01 surprised. Here is a 100% crop of the first shot above with no other post processing. (I hadn't noticed the tiny bug before.) IMO, the noise isn't particularly irksome (unless you've becomedslr oriented ). The noise reduction obviously does take its toll but, all in all, the results can be pleasing.

Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:19 AM   #4

Verygood for ISO 200. I didn't realize the Venus ll processed for noise. There are very few shots where the noise really bothers me though.

Don
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 4:40 PM   #5

Hi Fred

I like all of these images, each one diferent and very pleasing and at IS0200 theres a lot less noise in these than there would be if I had taken them with my FZ10 at the same setting. I would be more than happy with that amount of noise in the shot. They have improved they're WB with the new cams and colour rendition a lot.

Cheers

HArj

:O :|

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:59 AM   #6

Yes I agree, the noise seems less than the FZs......but I can live with the noise of the FZs because of the wonderful things they can do that fit my needs to a Tee......

I just really can not see why a camera such as this has noise......but it was only a question, and not a comment on the camera.

I had no desire to insult the camera, as I have no desire for a camera of this type.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:19 AM   #7

genece wrote:
Quote:
Yes I agree, the noise seems less than the FZs......but I can live with the noise of the FZs because of the wonderful things they can do that fit my needs to a Tee......

I just really can not see why a camera such as this has noise......but it was only a question, and not a comment on the camera.

I had no desire to insult the camera, as I have no desire for a camera of this type.
Gene - I didn't think your comments were negative. There is noise. There is always noise. It comes with the territory. Why would you expect a tiny camera with tiny sensor and 6mp not to have noise? My point was that the VenusII (actually VII Plus with the fx01) is doing a decent job of controlling it at iso200 on these shots. To be honest, I don't know that my fz5 would have performed any differently. I certainly agree with you that the fz's do wonderful things that the fx01 can't possibly do. The fz5 is my primary camera. The fx01 with its 28mm lens and tiny size is an excellent, very enjoyable complimentary piece of equipment. Pick it up and try it sometime. I never had a desire for a cigarette pack sized camera either. Now it sits right along side my fz5.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:06 PM   #8

Great shots, Fred. I have kept my camera on ISO 80, but these shots make me think that I should experiment with higher ISOs once in a while. Thanks.

Daniel
danielsonkin is offline   Reply With Quote