Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:57 AM   #1

Hello, I am new to using a macro lens and I had read elsewhere that you can stack lenses. I have the Raynox 250 and would like to get the 150. Does it require a step ring to stack them?

Here is my first decent macro. I am enjoying exploring with it and it is really a fun challenge.

[align=center]
[/align]
Beth Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:43 PM   #2

The rear thread of the dcr150/250 is 43mm and the front is 49mm, so you will need a 49-43mm step down ring to stack them. If you happen to already have a 49-xmm step up ring where x=52mm-67mm, you could use the snap on adapter that comes with the dcr150/250, although that might be placing the two lens a little far apart and cause more vignetting.

Note: The resulting +12 diopter of the stacked marcos is going to be almost impossible to work with except for numismatology due to the essentially non-existent depth of field. As you can see in your shot, the dc250 dof is already extrememely shallow; on the order of 0.5-1mm. The dcr150 is still a good investment in that it is much easier to work with than the dcr250. I suppose while you have them both though, you might as well stack them.

Here's a portion of the upper left quadrant of adime taken with the fz5 and dcr250 and minolta #2 stacked for a total of +12 diopter. The horizontal field is7-8mm. Resized only.

fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:35 PM   #3

This is very informative. Even if I don't stack them I will still find much use for the 150. Thank you much.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:38 PM   #4

I have a quick follow-up question as I am not sure I understand something. Is the shallow DOF typical of the Raynox 250 or of any lens at this magnification?
Old Jul 24, 2006, 1:54 AM   #5

The DOF is influenced by the aperture.

It is identical for all lenses with the same diopter!

The only way to get rid of this limitation (apart from the aperture) is a series of slizes with different focal layers and combining them.

Sven

seemolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 2:08 PM   #6

Beth that pic is great, looks spooky and the signature at the bottom is a nice touch indeed, havent seen one like that before

More info about the 150 and 250 is always helpful as well people :-) hopefully when I get mine I will know what to do.
romerojpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 3:09 PM   #7

Thanks so much! I am still learning but sure enjoy exploring with the 250. I hope to get the 150 soon.