Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:53 PM   #11

I tried this one in the front yard!

Attached Images

annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:20 PM   #12

Nice shot in your yard Annie. Love flowers that are taken with dew or raindrops on them. I find that is when a flower has a really fresh look..
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:35 PM   #13

How come it posted twice?

And I tried to use a macro filter but couldn't get it to focus. I have no idea how to use it properly?

Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:40 PM   #14

Another time WOW!!!!

I really like #2

Keep them coming.

roger (The Old Newbie)
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 8:53 PM   #15

Nice shots Annie.
Keep on shoothing.
The practice makes the master.

What type of macro lens are you using ??
jotajota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:30 AM   #16

nice shots, Annie... looks like you used a flash? a little trick to help reduce the "too bright" look you sometimes get with a flash at close range - cut a small piece of paper towel, or even printer paper, and hold it over the front of the flash, either with your fingers or with a rubber band. it will act as a diffuser, and help reduce the harshness of the light...

here's a sample. i used the flash on my 30D from about 14" away, which would normallyilluminate the flower much too harshly. with a makeshift diffuser (in this case, my shirt tail) over the flash, it cut down the amount of light, and eliminated the harsh highlights and shadows that a flash at short range often leaves...

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:38 AM   #17

annie57 wrote:
Quote:
How come it posted twice?

And I tried to use a macro filter but couldn't get it to focus. I have no idea how to use it properly?
not sure about the double post part, but if you can't get a close-up lens to focus, it may be because you're trying to use it at the wrong distance. if i recall, you have an FZ30, which means probably one of the screw-on close-up lenses? most of those require your lens to be within a pretty narrow operating range from the subject, or they won't focus. for example, on my FZ20, with my Nikon 6T close-up lens attached, i need to be between 12 and 13" from my subject. any closer, or farther away, and the camera won't focus clearly. with your close-up lens mounted and the camera at 12x zoom, experiment by moving your camera closer or farther from your subject, and see where the image in the EVF is clearest. that's the operating distance for your close-up lens.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 3:42 AM   #18

Thanks squirrel. I do have thescrew onmacro lens and an FZ30 camera. I will definetely try to practice the distance as you suggested. I was just trying it from the tripod I had out in the front and wasn't even sure how to practice with it. And I did use a flash but it was just the on board flash and not my external flash. Again, as I have never tried difusing a flash, I can really see the difference you mean from your posting with regards to the softer image. It really enhances the photo. Thanks for the suggestions.

What is the main difference from the screw on macro lens to an actual telephoto lens you can get for the FZ30 in the way they function?
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:14 AM   #19

annie57 wrote:
Quote:
What is the main difference from the screw on macro lens to an actual telephoto lens you can get for the FZ30 in the way they function?
a screw-on macro or close-uplens lets you use the full zoom power of your camera's lens and still focus on objects at very short distances to take extreme close-up shots. teleconverter or telephoto lenses such as the TCON17 are usedto extend the long-range, or telephoto, capability of the camera to bring distant objects closer.