Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:54 AM   #11

There are a couple fellows on the Nikon forum at dpreview that also use FZs and they just got 300mm F4 lenses which they use with a 1.4 converter at times, and they seem really happy with the results and that is not a huge lens when compared to my 80 to 400OS. But it is not stabilized.

http://www.bythom.com/300AFSlens.htm

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetail...&PMNID=240
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 11:25 AM   #12

Hi Roger

Gene's got a point as well on getting a cheaper body and pair it with a really good lens. I've seen a really good deal for a Olympus E1+kit lens+batterygrip+1GB x80 CF card for just £499.00 (brand new) and I've been thinking that I may just snap it up before the offer ends as a stop gap and learning tool before I jump to anything else. The E1 was Oly's first 4/3 cam and aimed at the Pro's - mag alloy body, full weather sealed, only 5.5MP pixels though about 2/3 size of a Canon 30D and Nikon D100/70 and 100% OVF. Its a wee bit dated now and only 5.5MP but its still a darn fine camera and there are guys over at the Oly furms (here at steve's and Dpreview that still swear by it).

Here's a few bird shots using an E1:

http://www.myfourthirds.com/document.php?id=17679

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=19305350

http://www.pbase.com/karaya/birds

http://www.pbase.com/shenmaker

Regards the Sony Alpha - you my want to contant Rainer Rduve whose now shooting with a KM5D and he should be able to recommend a lens or two there. That way you'd get a 10.2MP DSLR (so plenty of room there for cropping and large prints) IS in body with every lens and I'm sure there's plenty of HQ and fast KM glass thats floating around.

Cheers

HarjTT
:|

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:04 PM   #13

WOW!!!! thanks to all. I have printed all the posts and I am going to find time and go hide in my easy chair and try to understand what has been suggested.

I was guessing I was going to spend around $5,000.00 to get what I need.

If wildlife hunting was perfect, it looks like I have a lot of choices. Wildlife is not perfect so I have to consider a lot of things.

1. Best opportunities are early morning and late evening = low light

2. When you get way back into wilderness areas you are using animal trails not the human trails if you want to find the good stuff. This means you are very limited in what you can carry. I have my camera on a binoculars harness around my shoulders and resting on my chest. In real rough areas inside my vest because it takes both hands to get in and out of some places. You also are having to work your way thru very thick brush. This is why I think I am going to need a zoom lens, also if you are set up for a ambush and the animal gets closer than you expected you can't move and back up to get farther away.You just can not carry much with you doing this type of hunting. My FZ30 with my teleconver works very well. The problem is I can't get the Large photos 18 x 24. I am being asked for. Also I have missed many good shots because of low light. This type of hunting does not allow you to have different lenses or a tripod.

3. Speed is another very important factor. Many opportunities are only 1 to 2 minutes long. The way I do it now, worst case is I have to open my vest and I am pressing the shutter in burst mode. Not to many seconds later I am filling a memory card.

4. I do have time to make up my mind about which camera and multiple purpose lens to buy. I don't expect I will get started on this until the Mule Deer rut which is normally in the middle of November.

5. Lots of times the animal ends up being in only a small part or say 25% of the photo so cropping needs to be considered.

My Goal if possible = A camera set up for hunting. 90% of the time it will be used as I described above. I need good 18 x 24 prints. Since I can't control the distance the animal is going to be a good zoom so if he is close or far I can get an opportunity. I am trying to find out if this camera and lens is available.

Once again thank you all for all the help you have been. You all are the best.

roger (The Old Newbie)
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:14 PM   #14

have you considered simply interpolating your FZ30 shots? after all, you have 8mp there, plus a fast, high-quality lens, and to get a good 18x24, you're going to need to upsize your photos no matter what camera you use. most DSLRs don't offer much more in the way of pixels than your FZ30, and there are plenty of good interpolation programs out there these days that will let you upsample your pics to print at 18x24. i've had shots from my FZ20 printed that large, and from what i hear (i didn't see them - they're on the wall of a classroom in Ireland), they came out perfectly! and that's only a 5mp camera! bear in mind that no one looks at 18x24 posters from 2 feet away... the normal viewing distance for an image like that is closer to 6-8 feet. also, since your subjects won't have razor sharp edges and contrast (which is where interpolation problems will be noticed first, if at all),the little bit of barely perceptible fuzziness added by the interpolation processwill be lost in the texture of the fur, the trees, the grass, etc... if nothing else, it might be worth a try, see how your friend likes the results before you shell out thousands for a bunch of camera gear you won't be able to carry most of the time anyway!

you say you've missed shots due to low light, but in most cases, a DSLR lens won't help you there. to get a DSLR lens as fast as the f3.7 of the FZ30, you'd have to shell out over $5 grand for the lens alone! a DSLR will let youuse higher ISO settings, butthe extre stop or two (or more!) of lens speed on the FZ30 goes a long way to compensate for the limited ISO performance.

to me like for the kind of shooting and trail-tromping you'll be doing, the FZ30 might work almost as well as a DSLR, and without the cost or the effort to carry heavy lenses, etc., through the brush!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:27 PM   #15

Squirl033

"have you considered simply interpolating your FZ30 shots?

Sorry but I have never even heard of that word. (Interpolating). I am going to do a google search for interpolating programs.

Would the new FZ50 because of the pixel size give me better result??? I guess I could still use my teleconverter???

roger (The Old Newbie)
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:43 PM   #16

Hi Roger

Squirrl indeed makes a pretty good point regards the FZ30 and using software to upsample and image.

Regards lens - it looks as if the Zukio for the money ($800) is pretty close to the specs of the FZ's they both start at f2.8 and go to f3.5 at the tele end of the range. Its not a chepa bit of glass as its part of Oly's pro range too so it should be up there with Canon's "L" glass. The other factor about the 4/3's is the crop factor any lens you use - the focal length doubles. Its a tough decision to make and if times on you side then I'd say just wait and see what the reviews of the Sony/Nikon/L1 are like.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O:|

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:16 PM   #17

HarjTT thanks
"I'd say just wait and see what the reviews of the Sony/Nikon/L1 are like."

That sounds like good advice

thanks

roger (The Old Newbie)
Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:30 PM   #18

thehotel wrote:
Quote:
Squirl033

"have you considered simply interpolating your FZ30 shots?

Sorry but I have never even heard of that word. (Interpolating). I am going to do a google search for interpolating programs.

Would the new FZ50 because of the pixel size give me better result??? I guess I could still use my teleconverter???

roger (The Old Newbie)
Roger,

interpolation is the process by which digital image files are enlarged beyond the basic resolution of the camera. there are a number of programs that do it, and a number of different resampling methods. you don't have to wait for a shot for your friend's shop... you can always take one of your archived FZ30 shots and run it through an upsizing program, then make an 18x24 print, and see how it looks, and you'll have a better idea of whether you need new equipment or not. you can probably getagood 16x20 with very littleinterpolation, and an 18x24 should only require about 30% upsizing... figure onsomewhere between4200x3200 and 4800x3600 image resolution to yield 175-200 ppi at 18x24 size.

as for the FZ50, i'm afraid i can't offer much advice there. it is 10mp, but until it comes out and there are some reviews and tests, i'd be very leery of the noise that would result from cramming 25% more pixels than the FZ30 on the same size sensor! i style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"n any case, why spend money you don't have to... if your FZ30 can do the job (and only trying it will tell), why not stick with what you know?

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 3:45 PM   #19

Squirel033, Thank you so much for helping me out.

I have been reading about interpolation programs. Here is one that seems to get good reviews.

http://www.benvista.com/main/content...photozoompro_1

Is there one you like and would recomend???

Thanks again

roger (The Old Newbie)
Old Jul 23, 2006, 4:22 PM   #20

For interpolation ...many think that Genuine fractuals is the best at that, but its expensive...perhaps you can find a way to get the use of that program.....But I have an action that does the same thing and it seems to do a good job ....what basicly it does, if you can not find a program, is to use PS to resample in10% incrediments until you get to the size you want.

I have trouble enlarging all but the cleanest FZ30 photos( that is the area that noise causes a problem (IMHO)....but any DSLR will come very close to giving what you want as large photos like that only need about 125 dpi to look very good...but your client may have a different opinion on that.

As others have said I have some very nice large prints from the FZ cameras actually I have a photo of the GC from a 3mp camera that I had printed at 16 X 22 and its beautiful.....and I would expect much better from any DSLR with good glass ...it is the detail captured in the photo .....not the mp. At least I believe so.

If you think about it a 8 mp photo has about 300 more pixels on each dimension than a 6mp photo...300 to 3000 not much of a deal.

I do believe that in good light a properly exposed photo from the FZ30 will do what you want....almost as well as any camera but that falls off quickly as the light drops.

genece is offline   Reply With Quote