Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 24, 2006, 4:41 AM   #1

Hello,

I took a few pictures of the moon with my FZ30

12x zoom no tcon used exposure time 1/1000 F 3.7
a 100 % crop (480 x 320)and then enlarged to 640 x 480.
Attached Images

Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2006, 4:44 AM   #2

With tcon at 12x zoom

exposure time 1/800 F3.7 100% crop
Attached Images

Old Jul 24, 2006, 4:45 AM   #3

with tcon 19.1 x zoom (3mp)

exposure time 1/1000 F3.7 100% crop
Attached Images

Old Jul 24, 2006, 2:49 PM   #4

Hi Rudo!

First things first-thanks for taking the time to set an example how effective the tcon 17 can be. The third picture is noicable clearer than the first. That might help People to decide if they need the tcon or not ;-)

I did some moon shots too and lots of people were very helpfull and did give me their advice and the results of their experience quite freely. So please bear with me, when I try to give a bit of the effort I receivd to improve my pix back to you.

You didn`t take the pictures against a black background(e.g. night ;-), that is a good thing for a first try. However, you might get the best results when it`s a bit darker. Also you avoided blown highlights-this is a good thing, too. If you set spot metereing and spot focus, use a tripod and then you would have to underexpose between one and two stops to avoid overexposure. Just in case you might try.

You used 3MP EZ-way to go. Even with a really cheap tripod you might get down to 1MPEZ (admitted, you have a bit more work to center the moon, but when you use spot metering, you have to anyway). Additionally, you might want to set IS to off (when on tripod, maybe on mode 2) and exposure to a bit longer. You can even use ISO 80, that will give you a lot less noise. Use the self Timer when on Tripod, get of the balcony (like I have too) when you take the picture from there.

Those were most of the tips I received, but a lot of the folk that gave advice so freely should be hanging around here as well. So they might correct any errors I have made. Anyway, good shooting pal. To my knowledge it is save-never fired back on me . Till now, I mean ;-)

One last thing-try to do the shots with the camera as cool as possible without attracting condensation. The first pics should be noticably less noisy than the next ones. Switch camera off inbetween to let it cool.

Happy moon-shooting,
RealMash
RealMash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 5:46 PM   #5

Hi RealMash,

Thanks for the advice, really helpfull.

Ik took this pictures in daylight, all handheld, because there were a few clouds on the way, so I didn't have the time to get the tripod.

I don't think there is any big difference between picture 2 and 3, so I think in case of shooting the moon there is no use in shooting in 3MP mode, but just use the 8MP mode and crop afterwards, but that is just my opinion.

I think the tcon is very helpfull for getting more tele. I'm very happy with it.

Rudo