Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:09 PM   #11

Great shots Fred. I just purchased a brand new fz1, did the firmware upgrade, and am going to buy an IR (Hoya) filter to get into this IR photography. I took the camera out last night for the first time to see what it can do. Man, this camera is great! Takes really sharp clear pictures. And only 2 mgp. Sure puts to sleep the myth about needing 10 mgp. Why don't they concentrate on image quality, and forget about the pixel race.......cheers........Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:42 PM   #12

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Great shots Fred. I just purchased a brand new fz1, did the firmware upgrade, and am going to buy an IR (Hoya) filter to get into this IR photography. I took the camera out last night for the first time to see what it can do. Man, this camera is great! Takes really sharp clear pictures. And only 2 mgp. Sure puts to sleep the myth about needing 10 mgp. Why don't they concentrate on image quality, and forget about the pixel race.......cheers........Don.
Thanks, Don. Congratulations on the fz1 purchase. Perhaps the best 2mp ever! Looking forward to some ir shots. $33 delivered for a new 55mm r72 on ebay looks like the best price.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:46 AM   #13

Hi Fred,

I have been looking and found two different people purporting the FZ7 to be a good candidate for IR work. One is on flickr with a bunch of IR shots but they don't have any xif info so I can't confirm they are from an FZ. The other one is here http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/index...nsitivity.html

What is your take on this image above? Would it be worth it for me to pick up an r72 and give it a try?

Thanks,

-Brett

P.S. the one on flickr is http://www.flickr.com/photos/grrlsco...57594087317955 his comment on these bing from an FZ7 was in another post.
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 4:46 PM   #14

Brett - The FZ1/2 is undoubtedly the most ir sensitive of the Panny digicams. This doesn't mean the others are totally useless. The flickr siteyou posted is legit fz7 according to the exif of the originals you can see by going toall sizes. There are some very nice shots there. Some of them are at very long shutter speeds like 8s but they seem to get the job done at least in small sizes. They have been pretty severly post processed in PS Elements 4. Take a look at some of the originals. If you're comfortable with that much pp then I would say get the r72 and give it a try. I don't think you'll be able to get satifactory results handheld but at least you'll get a feel for what ir is all about and maybe you'll end up getting an fz1 and really get hooked.

The fx01 has ir potential. See http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:19 PM   #15

fmoore wrote:
Quote:
Brett - The FZ1/2 is undoubtedly the most ir sensitive of the Panny digicams. This doesn't mean the others are totally useless. The flickr siteyou posted is legit fz7 according to the exif of the originals you can see by going toall sizes. There are some very nice shots there. Some of them are at very long shutter speeds like 8s but they seem to get the job done at least in small sizes. They have been pretty severly post processed in PS Elements 4. Take a look at some of the originals. If you're comfortable with that much pp then I would say get the r72 and give it a try. I don't think you'll be able to get satifactory results handheld but at least you'll get a feel for what ir is all about and maybe you'll end up getting an fz1 and really get hooked.

The fx01 has ir potential. See http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23
Thanks for you input Fred. I do have a tripod and monopod so longer exposures on a calm day may be a good place to start with my FZ7. I think I'll order up the r72 and see how it goes. As you said the fx01 looks pretty good. I may be ordering one of them as a second camera so it's nice to see the potential.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote