Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:03 AM   #1

FZ1v2 with the hoya r72 ir filter and dcr6600 .66x wa. WB set through r72. Red/blue color swap with ps6 channel mixer. Flickr slideshow at http://www.flickr.com/photos/fmoore/sets/72157594209474640/show/

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=center]
[/align]
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2006, 4:03 PM   #2

Fred,

Very cool. I really wish I could do that with my FZ7! Nice to see you have not totally forgotten the good old FZ1v2 in favor of your newer cameras.

I may still pick on up off ebay some day, just for the IR fun.

-Brett
bmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:32 PM   #3

bmccoy wrote:
Quote:
Very cool. I really wish I could do that with my FZ7! Nice to see you have not totally forgotten the good old FZ1v2 in favor of your newer cameras.

I may still pick on up off ebay some day, just for the IR fun.
Thanks, Brett. That's why I kept mine (actually two). A very unique camerawith its ir sensitivity, image stabilization, and custom white balance. The first shot was handheld at iso50 and 1/8s. I generally go to iso200 to get the shutter speed fast enough to mimimize foliage movement (not to mention camera shake) - in the 1/20s range in bright sunlight with the r72. There was a very little breeze blowing (which was unusual for these billowing clouds that add so much to the overall effect) and I was able to go to iso50for some nice cleanshots. The other two above were at iso200 and 1/8s and 1/13s, respectively.

It's getting harder and harder to find the fz1 on ebay (currently 2 posted) and the demand for ir sensitive digicams is basically nil, so I wouldn't wait too long if you're really interested. A 55mmhoya r72 is ~$40. There are some old ir sensitve non-image stabilzed digicams around but there is no way I could have captured that first shot with a tripod on the muddy fallen tree branch I was standing on out in the creek.

Fred
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:38 PM   #4

Excellent work, Fred. I am always amazed by the IR capabilities of the FZ1/2.

George
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:14 AM   #5

propwash wrote:
Quote:
Excellent work, Fred. I am always amazed by the IR capabilities of the FZ1/2.
Thanks for commenting, George. Infrared is quite addictive and the fz1 w/ hoya r72 is awonderfully convenientfix. It's one shortcoming is the 2mp. Just not enough detail for larger prints. I'm thinking of gettingthe 5mpminolta dimage 7 butit isn't image stabilized and I'm not sure about its custom wb effectiveness.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:10 PM   #6

Very Nice! I was just out last weekend shooting with the FZ1 and R72 for the first time in quite a while. Though I have not pulled the images off the card yet and I don't expect any stellar shots like you have here.
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:59 PM   #7

Splendidly done. A very nice twist. Is this something that can be done with any FZ?

Jerry
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 8:24 AM   #8

Thanks for the comments.

Troy - I remember seeing some of your fz1 ir stuff and it looked pretty good. Post some more.

Jerry - Here aresome quick shots comparing the relative sensitivity of the fz1, fz5 and fx01. I would expect the fz20 to perform similarly to the fz5. These are straight from the camera without the red/blue color swap post processing done on the above shots.

The white balance was set manually through the hoya r72 filter. Cameras were resting on a table. The fz1 is clearly more ir sensitve followed by the fx01 and fz5, both of which exhibit chalkiness.

fz1; 1/8s, f4, iso50, -2/3 ev

fz5; 1/4s, f2.8. iso80, 0 ev

fx01; 1/2s, f2.8, iso80, -1/3 ev

Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:23 PM   #9

Hi Fred

Simply one word comes to mind and thats "stunning". Wonderful stuff and the FZ1 does IR so well!

Cheers

Harj

:|
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:59 PM   #10

Thanks, Harj. I've enjoyed the fz1 so much since getting it August 2003 - all of three years ago!Now itresides patiently in the cupboard waiting for my infrared desires to reach quantum mass. And it never fails. Great little camera! These ir shots cry out for big prints, however, and the 2mp pretty much stops at 8x10. So, todayI won an ebaybidon a 5mp minolta dimage 7 that is supposed to be one of thebest ir sensitvenon-dlr digicams available. 28mm lens and 2/3" sensorsounds real good. No image stabilization and the custom wb is suspect. I aim to find out how important those two attributes are. As always, the fz1v2 is a very tough act to follow. Did I already say it's a great little camera? It is!

Fred