Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:41 AM   #1

here is a pic of my dog ( apologies for the low quality, but im at work, with no access to photoshop, so i had to resize in Paint, which ruined the pic.) . anyway, you can see that i have brought out a bit of brown in the dogs eyes. they were blue due to the sky reflection but i brought out the brown by changing the hue. i want to get the eyes to glow brown almost. how would you go about that? what do you think of the picture besides that?
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2006, 2:41 AM   #2

This picture puzzles me and I don't know whether I like it or not.

It is certainly crisp and a good portrait of the dog but I wonder about the contrasting colours. It is an interesting technique as dhu_d showed in an earlier thread and I remain unconvinced that it improves subjects.

This is only my thoughts however and please don't take this as an adverse crticism...perhaps I am overly traditional

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 4:16 AM   #3

all criticisim greatly appriciated !! it is a technique that is going to appeal to you or not. I like the contrast, but you, and many others may not. its not something thats definately going to improve the image, but if its the effect your looking for then it works well. thanks for your input
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:21 AM   #4

It would be ideal if you can use the "red eye reduction" function to change the color to brown, while utilizing this function to maintain all the tiny nuance of the light reflection. I find that there is no manual controlfor color inthe "red eye reduction" function of Photoshop CS2, or maybe I do not know how to get to the menu to change it. I don't have more advanced photo editing software, but I suspect the more professional softwaremay have such a function.

Since the eyes are not brown in the original picture of your dog, you cannot go back to the original picture and cut out the eyeand graft it onto the new picture.The only way I can think of is to graft the brown color from another picture of your dog (just the color and not the whole eye, unless you can find a near perfect match!), using the "eyedrop" function to pick up the color. The problem is, the brown color is not uniform in all parts of the eye (and if you zoom in to the pixel level, many pixels are not even brown!), therefore you have to spend a huge amount of time tweaking the gamma, brightness, saturation, RBGetc. of different parts of the eye, even at the pixel level. You may get away with less tweaking if your dog portrait (therefore size of the eye) is small.

Bottomline is: sorry I don't come up with a good solution.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:47 PM   #5

If You have PS CS 2 I would recommend the color replacement tool which is right besides the red eye tool. If you don't see it, press the button and hold it to see the options. You can select a color and it will do it just fine without affecting light intensity values (i.e. reflections) Good luck!

Yoshi
ascaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:52 PM   #6

Well, I gave it a try since I had PS opne anyway. Hope this is what you are looking for
Attached Images

Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:48 PM   #7

Thanks Ascaria, that is exactly what the doctor orders!
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 2:44 AM   #8

Always a pleasure!