Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:23 AM   #1

It is very likely that I don't know what I am doing. But, I am still frustrated with my Macro capability on the FZ30. I see a preying mantis on a plant, try to get a good clear shot, and wallah, nothing good. Detail stinks and often out of focus. Can someone please describe the settings for me, sunny day, flower, insect. What do they use, scenery , portrait or if manual, what are the settings? Also, do you manually focus or let the camera do that? I see macro shots on here with what I assume is the stock lens and I am getting nothing close. I also assume you do not zoom in but take it at wide angle. Someone please describe it. Thank you.
nsclcctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:19 PM   #2

I will leave the folks that are good at macros give more details, but if you use the macro AF switch on the lens and set the zoom to 135mm or less ,you should be able to focus at about 10 inches......If you need more than that I think you will need a macro lens.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:44 PM   #3

im only getting into the world of macro photography and ive learned a lot here. there are some real experts in that field on these boards.you need some acromatic screw on lens'es. the Nikon 5T or 6T are recommended, as is the Raynox DCR-250( for extreme close ups). check out the board on these fourms for add on lenses for fixed lens cameras.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=50
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:04 PM   #4

If my FZ3 is good at macro, I'm sure FZ30 must be much more. On the macro mode, when you are near the subject (say within a foot or so) try not to zoom more than 3x. Else, go beyond 1m and you can use zoom to the full - I think this is called telemacro. Patience is the key. I am just giving you a sample each of my experiments, just for you to understand. Best of luck.
Attached Images

Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:05 PM   #5

This was the tele-macro. Both the shots are without any additional lens - I still haven't got one.
Attached Images

Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 7:14 PM   #6

Hi nsclcctl,

I don't know if you are still needing help with getting a macro shot with your FZ30 but I thought I'd give my two cents just in case you can use it.

I have an FZ30 as well. On the left side of the camera barrel you will see two buttons. The one ontop isa button that can be moved into three positions.

Top position says AF or auto focus and is used mostly for normal picture taking of anything other than macro.

The middle position is AF MACRO which is the auto focus for macro pictures.

The bottom position is MF or manual focus which can be used in any mode, distance or macro.

underneath is another button labledFocus just above it. This button is for using when in MF / manual focus. When you need a quick auto focus while in manual focus mode, you can push this little button and it will focus automatically wheather you are photographing macro or regular distance. Sort of a quick auto focus while in manualfocus mode.

You may already know all this but I'm justmaking sure just in case. I still don't know all the bells and whistles on my FZ30 and I've had itfor 5 months.

Anyway, like you said if you are wanting to take amacro picture of a bug or flower etc.you set the lens for wide angle but don't forget to go to the little 3 way button on the left side of the lens barrel and make sure it isset in the middle position - AF MACRO.

Once it is set there, center the little square in your EVF or LCD on the area that you want to have most in focus. Shallow depth of field will cause some parts to be slightly out of focus. Hold the shutter button halfway and wait for it to focus. Once it locks in (it only takes a second or so and a little green dot shows up in the top centerof screen) you can finish pressing all the way to take the picture.

I've noticed that I can get closer to my subject if I keep lens at the widest setting. If I am too close and have too much zoom, even a little zoom depending on how close, I either back off or move the lens to wide again. By the way, incase I didn't say, macro can be taken in manual focus as well. Just set lens to widest angle and proceed as above.

I hope this helps. Please forgive me if I've given too much detail. I figured better safe than sorry.

Happy Macroing,

Teree
gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:23 AM   #7

Teree,

This is what I do also. Set the lens to the widest angle and flip the switch to AF Macro. I haven't yet captured any tiny bugs or fly eyes, but my close-up stuff is getting better. This is the one time when I will use the LCD to compose the shot. I kind of dangle the camera right over what I'm trying to get if I think my getting closer is going to startle it. I have a small collection going of "almost bumblebees" - LOL
Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 2:05 AM   #8

Hi Capella,

You have a steady hand there. I've not been very good getting closeup shots unless I have some kind of mono/tripod keeping my camera still. I am only recently figuring out how to get pictures hand held with little or no blur.

And I know what you mean about getting pictures of almost bumblebees. LOL I have some great shots of almost butterflies. :lol:In fact just this weekend I caught this lovely photo ofthe elusive Queen Butterfly. You can just make out the wings in the upper right hand corner.
Attached Images

gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote