Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 27, 2006, 1:20 PM   #1

Make fun of yourself so others can smile

We have all have had the "oooops I didn't get the photo happen to us".
The fact is most of my clients enjoy the stories about my misses about
as much as they enjoy going out and taking photos.

I will start the thread.

THE PERFECT STALK

Back in early March I was in a white out (lots of snow & wind here in
the hight country) I saw a large dark object in a group of cottonwood
trees. Stopped the car and started glassing. The snow was really coming
down so not much detail available. I checked the wind and decided I
needed to go down in the draw for about a quarter mile then I would be
upwind and I could get my photo when I climbed to the top of the ridge.
I was sure I saw some movement when I had him spotted with my
binoculars. It must be a large Golden Eagle because I couldn't see any
white at the top of the black image. The truth is I couldn't see any
detail but a black thing in the tree. The movement had to be his
feathers in the wind.

Snow up to my knees in the draw didn't cause me to hesitate I was in the
middle of the perfect stalk (Eat your heart out Daniel Boone). Sometimes
it just feels good to know how smart and good you are. About 3 more feet
to the top I found the top of another tree and use it to focus, now I
got him. Should be a great photo, a large eagle in a white out snow
storm. Got to the top and noticed some limbs in the way so no problem
all I have to do is keep the shutter down enough for the focus and move
to my left and towards him and then I have the photo of the year. Almost
there all that is left to overcome is a batch of oak. Crawl through the
oak raise up and ................It is a black garbage bag that the wind
had blown up into the tree. Well forget the eat your heart out Daniel
Boone its time for me to go home and dry off.

IMHO: Sometimes the missed photos are almost as much fun as the ones you get.

--
TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2006, 5:33 PM   #2

I don't believe I am the only one who has been outwitted by a potential photo subject.
If you are willing to share your missed photo stories and give me permission I will put some of them in a new section I am building on my camera hunts web site. I haven't decided on a tittle for the new section yet. Maybe something like "Camera misses" or "Outwitted by" any ideas or suggestion please post them.
The story I posted above will be tittled "Outwitted by a garbage bag" I think it will be fun for people to read stories about missed photos. The idea is to let people know that having fun with their camera is what it is about. Getting a good picture is not the only thing that can make a good day with their camera.
--
TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:48 PM   #3

Since I only recently started and have not much ventured out of the surrounding area, I don't have anything, except, "Why in the hell don't I have a camera with me now?' Which is why I bought the FX01 that I am starting to carry with me when I can steal it away from the Boss Hoss.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:56 PM   #4

Same thing happened to me a couple of times. My wife suggested I Velcro it to my forehead. That plan didn't sound very comfortable.

I figured it out, if I have the camera and miss the shot it can be fun. If I don't have the camera and I miss the shot, not fun at all.

Jerry think about the Velcro idea and I bet it will be easier to remember the camera.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Jul 28, 2006, 4:16 AM   #5

A few years ago when coming out to Australia with my family, our flights were stuffed up by the agents and we stayed a couple of days in Kuala Lumpar...very nice too.

We stayed in a hotel with a revolving restaurant on the top and with my faithful 35mm camera, we sat at a window for about two hours whilst I snapped a 360 degree panarama.

On arrival in Australia I went to take the film for processing and guess what...NO FILM!.

Another time we were staying in a caravan (trailer?) park in Sydney on the edge of a National Park. One morning I was invaded by Rainbow Lorikeets - most colourful beautiful birds...I had them on my head, on my shoulders and on my hands and quietly asked my wife to get the camera and take photographs, which under instruction she did

Opportunity of a lifetime and guess what...NO FILM

Hurray for digital cameras!

Fred
Bootneck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:42 AM   #6

LOL... Fred can I use your stories when I get the missed opportunities or what ever I am going to call the page when I get it finished?????

After those two experiences was it easier to remember film?????

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Jul 28, 2006, 2:48 PM   #7

Oops, I missed an orpportunity to get a photo of a six foot or so alligator swimming in a small bayou I was driving along side. As I rounded a curve, I could see through the trees alongside the bayou and saw something moving in the bayou. So I pulled over, got out the truck and walked over to where I could see better. There it was swimming along on the surface. I stood and watched a couple minutes then realized that I had the camera in the truck. I beelined it back to get the camera, but returning to the bayou, it must have seen me and went under before I could snap off a shot. I had been carrying my FX01 in a case on my belt, but had taken it off, because of the nature of the work I was doing today, a hot and sweaty job.
bayourebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:07 PM   #8

Baa Boo Humbug on the camera in the truck.

I got to add this story to my list.

thanks,

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Jul 28, 2006, 3:20 PM   #9

Hello thehotel,

I love your idea of the missed shots, this thread you started and your website. I absolutely enjoyed your story of "The Perfect Stalk." I laughed out loud when I came to the end. VERY funny! Thank you for sharing this "once in a lifetime" experience. This is just a thought but, when you name the story on your website, perhaps leave the word garbage bag out of the title as this is truely a suprise element in the story. Very good !!

I thought I'd share a missed photo story just for fun

"Rapturous Moment"

I was walking around in the yard with my brand new FZ30 in my hand looking for the perfect photo. I was filled with anticipation as I heldthisgem in my handready tocapture the world in a way I'd never been able to before with my older point and shoot cameras.

Suddenly, I heard a plaintive cry. I realized it was a hawk. Thrilled that I might have an opportunity to capture something rare in my suburban neighborhood, something that I've not seen in the wild much less from my own back yard, I quickly and quietly began to search the trees around me. I could hear his plaintive cry every so often so I followed the sound until finally, I found him, a Red Shouldered Hawk in all his glory perched majesticallyon a chain link fence. Not a particularly artistic location, I thought, but perhaps, (rethinking optomistically) interesting that he was out of his normal element and visiting mine.

I carefully lifted my camera and began shooting pictures, thrilled with my 12X zoom capability and thankful for OIS. He sat happily on the fence for some time looking back at me every so often, curious about my momentaryobsession. Then he began to move a little, looking a bit restless. My heart began to race somewhat as I thought I might get a picture of him flying off the fence. What a wonderful shot that would be, with his wings stretched out taking flight into the air. I would get the shot I never dreamed possible!

I watched the large raptor intently through the lens of my camera as he positioned his head low, his legs slightly bent, readying himself. I had him in focus with my finger ready to finish the release at just the right moment. Suddenly, he moved and I quickly pressed the release button just in time to capture this rare photo of the Red Shouldered Hawk in my very own neighbor hood.

Attached Images

gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 4:57 PM   #10

Hi gotta.learn

I laughed so hard I almost hurt myself. Very, very funny.

Good idea about taking out garbage bag from the tittle. Thanks.

TOTALLY WACKY roger