Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:37 AM   #11

Hi Teree,

Thank you for viewing and commenting! It is the second year that I grow fennel in my garden and noticed the caterpillars. There are 4-5 of them on my fennel plant. I would love to see them turn into butterflies!

You mentioned that you've raised butterflies, where did you get the eggs. Once you get the eggs, what isneed to raise them!I'd appreciate your response.

Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:19 PM   #12

Hi MacNite,

I would be happy to share what we did. :-)

Food:

The caterpillars we raised were from our yard. As soon as we found one on a plant, we took it to raise. Daily we fed it fresh leaves only from the plant which that caterpiller was already feeding on (any other leaf would not do since the caterpillar will only eat the leaves of the kind of plant it's egg was placed on). Sometimes I would lightly run a little water over the leaves to provide tiny water droplets for the caterpillar to drink. They do drink them too. :-)

Living Quarters:

We kept the caterpillar in a large roomy jar covered with a lid with lots of little holes punched through. Usually it was just aluminium foil placed over the top and held on with a rubber band (it's alot easier to punch holes through aluminium foil :-)). A little square of nylon screen held on with a rubber band will work too. To clean it from time to time, we just pulled the little caterpillar out of his jar, then dumped out all the droppings and dead leaves, then placed him back into his lilttle abode with new leaves to munch.

Furnishings:

We would provide a nice stick or two for the caterpillar to climb on and eventually hang from when going into pupa & chrysalis stage. Once they reached this stage we left him be to do what ever caterpillars do when changing into the marvelous creatures they become.

The big day:

We waited patientlyfor the miracle to occur. Once the butterfly emerged from the chrysalis, we waited for the new butterfly to stretch it's wings and dry. Finally, we set it free and watched it flutter away.

Places to order butterly larva:

There are websites on line you can look up to order butterfly larva. Some sites even offer little containers to keep them in while raising them. I can't really recommend any one supplierover another as I have never ordered from these companies but do know of some people who have successfully done so. Just make sure you have a plant available that have the leaves your caterpillar eats and you should be set to go.

Good luck and thank you for giving me an opportunity to relive a pleasant time in my life.

Teree

gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:03 AM   #13

Hi Teree,

An amazing story. A simple process and yet, I would of never thought of getting the caterpillars and raise them as you did. Definitely I will try and raise them now that you shared your experience.

Yesterday afternoon I was taking pictures in my garden and noticed caterpillars on my rose bushes. They are smaller in size and different incolour.I checked the roses closely and it seems that they are infested with caterpillars. I don't know what kind they are but definitely I will experiment and raise a few in a big jar.

Thank you forsharing.

Emmanuel

Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:14 PM   #14

Hi Macnite,

I'm glad you are inspired to give it a try. Perhaps if you can collect a caterpillar and as you watch it grow etc. you can take a series of pictures as it develops into a chrystalis and butterfly. Then post them for us to see. :-)

Good luck and I hope you succeed in getting butterflies. Or even moths! Some are quite beautiful. They are raised the same way.

Hope to see more of your beautiful pictures soon.

Teree
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:45 PM   #15

Hi Teree,

Thanks to you I've got interested into raising a caterpillar!I've taken a Black Swallowtail caterpillar from my gardenand place it in a big jar and every day I give it a fresh piece of fennel branch to eat. I've taken pictures and can't wait to see it develop into a butterfly.I'll post them as soon as the process is completed!!

Emmanuel
Old Aug 5, 2006, 9:29 AM   #16

OH my Gosh Macnite, that is sooooo cool!!! I can't wait to see your butterfly! I'm excited for you. I saw two IO Moth caterpillers on one of my bushes a couple of weeks ago and regret to say I didn't take them to raise. But I did get pictures.

Here is one. I like the "racing stripe" down the sides.:lol:
Attached Images

Old Aug 5, 2006, 9:58 AM   #17

That is so nice. Have you taken a picture of the moth? I'm excited to see the end result with my caterpillar!
Old Aug 5, 2006, 3:47 PM   #18

Wow, I love your caterpillar photo! Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 8:52 PM   #19

i would like to try this, but how do you know the day that the butterfly will emerge. sure you can estimate, but you cant be sure. you could be sitting around for 2 or3 days waiting. im sure it would be very disapointing if you sat around for a day or two, nothing happend, so you went to the shop for an hour and the butterfly was already out when you came back!
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 9:29 PM   #20

Thanks for viewing and commentingDona.

schmintan, gotta.learn (Teree) is the expert in caterpillars/butterflies. If you read up above the page you will find the exact way how toand what needs to be done to enjoy butterflies.