Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:01 AM   #21

That first shot is super Macnite! Great detail and color. Jim
tiger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 9:54 PM   #22

Thanks for the comments Jim.
Macnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 1:25 AM   #23

Hi Schmintan & Macnite, :-)

Schmintan, you are right. You could watch the chrystalis all day and the minute you take a break to fix a sandwich, you come back and the butterfly is out already. It almost makes mewonder if they are waiting on purposetill they have some privacy. Ha ha :lol:

However, there can be clues to when it's getting close to the day. Sometimes, the coloration and markings of the butterfly in the chrystalis will become a littlemore pronounced and the chrystalis more clear depending on the species. Monarch Butterfly chrystalis' are the most dramatic in this way, actually changing color from a beautiful pale turqoise to actually becoming completely clearon the day itis to emerge. Then you can really see all the colors and markings of the wings.

Hopefully you will be among the lucky few that are able to watch the butterfly emerge from the chrystalis, but even if you don't get to witness that part, it is still a huge thrill to look in the jar one day and suddenly seea butterfly hanging from its former housing, stretching it's wings and taking shape, beautiful and perfect.

Just a warning, when they are fresh out of the chrystalis, the wings look pretty wrinkley and the body plump looking but, they slowly change as they hang like jewels waiting for everything to go into place. This can take some time so you may have a chance to watch for awhile.

I am so excited for you macnite! Have a great time. You make me want to go out and find a caterpillar to raise too. :-)

Meanwhile, I'll wait for your pictures.

Teree
gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:19 AM   #24

Hi Teree,

I found two small swallowtale caterpillars this morning onthe flowers of afennel stack. I put them in a separate jar. The bigger one I think isshowing signs that it wants to form a cocoon. I think its the only one that survived from the first batch.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:06 AM   #25

Hi Macnite,

That is exciting that your first caterpiller is showing signs of becoming a chrysalis. Youmay be right about your first caterpillar being a survivor. I'm glad you saved him! I bet he is too. :-) That is great that you found two more!!! How wonderful! I can't wait to see the butterflies.

Oh, by the way, I couldn't find my pictures of the IO moths. When I do (hopefully) I'll post them for you.

Thanks for the update on your new findings.

Teree
gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:57 AM   #26

Hi Teree,

Certenly I'll keep you posted with the developements of the caterpillar. It looks that she is in a puppa (?) stage. The other two are eatting almost as much as I do!! LOL.